Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dancing Disaster by Kayla L.

One night I was in my New York apartment trying to go to sleep but all I could hear was soft slow music and feet moving upstairs. This was annoying me so much. It was 11 o’clock at night; couldn’t this person have some consideration to not do this at night? It kept going on until 1 in the morning. That’s when I was fed up with the noise.

I got up, put on my robe and slippers and walked through the hallway, into the elevator. I went one floor above me and I walked right to the same number apartment as mine because I could hear everything above me from my apartment. I started to bang on the door but no one answered so I hit harder; finally the music stopped. So I just walked away but only a few seconds later the music started back up. I was so angry I just wanted to scream. I tried hitting the door even harder but nothing happened. So I just gave up and went back downstairs and covered my ears with pillows. I finally fell asleep at 2 o’clock in the morning. I went to college that morning and could barely keep my eyes open.

As I was walking in the apartment building I could see a moving truck in the parking lot. This tiny woman was trying to carry a chair out from it. She almost fell over so I went over and helped her bring it up to her apartment.

When we got to her apartment I got so mad. She was living in the same apartment as the one with the music and footsteps. She invited me in and I went. We started talking about where she was from and what she does. She ended up telling me that last night she was dancing all night because it’s what she likes to do when she needs to express herself. She told me she had to move into that crummy apartment because her boyfriend broke up with her and this is the only place she could afford right now.

I didn’t like her at all for a while but then one night my friends and I decided to go watch this dumb dance show at our town theater. We were laughing at all the people going up there and making a fool of themselves.

Then all of a sudden she came out. She was in this long baby blue dress. And the same music came on as the night before. She started dancing and it was like she was pouring her emotions right there on the stage. Right then and there I realized she was right. Dancing was a great way to express you. By the time she was done the whole audience was in shock. Her performance was amazing. It took the audience a few seconds after she was done to start clapping.

I tried to go backstage and see her and tell her she did awesome, but I wasn’t allowed in. that night I kept going up to her apartment and knocking on the door to see if she was home. But she never was. Finally she came home 2 days later. I went up to her apartment and told her how amazing she was. She had me come in and turn on some music and started teaching me how to turn, kick, and leap. As I started to learn how to dance I fell in love. I’ve been dancing ever since that day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kayla, your story was so great. The descriptions made the story even better and engaging.
I loved the part where her and her friends go to the town theater and watch the lady upstirs perform. Overall it was a great story that I really enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

your story was really good. it had really good details. i liked how you made the tiny women and the girl be kind of enemies at first but then you changed it around and made the girl realize why she was dancing and how to express yourself. it was great!

Mr. B-G said...

Kayla I really enjoyed your exposition. I could picture your character knocking on the door of her annoying neighbor and covering her ears with her pillow. You did a nice job of setting the plot of your story by introducing the two main characters and a conflict right away.
Your story shows character development as at the end your main character ends up getting into dance. I also like the idea of dance as a way of expression. I think you could have done a better job of showing the dance performance rather than telling us what looked like, but overall I enjoyed your tale.