Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Spirited Dancing by Katie D.

I hear my alarm clock ringing in my ear, and I jumped out of bed. The day had finally come. I had worked toward this day for what felt like my entire life. In the kitchen I found my mother smiling a smile as bright as the sun. She cheerfully handed me a plate of scrambled eggs like they were her prized masterpiece. I ate them slowly, knowing I would need my energy for the upcoming hours.

After breakfast, I headed upstairs to get dressed. I pulled on my leotard and tights and threw my new dance shoes into my bag. Although I had never had a proper dance lesson, my mother insisted that I have the proper attire for today. I was venturing where no one from my neighborhood had ever been before. I knew it was risky, but I was going to audition for Baltimore’s junior dance team. It was my big chance.

As I headed out the door, my mother grabbed my hands and looked me in the eye. “Honey, all I ask is that you try your best,” she said. I rolled my eyes, muttering a “thanks” and started down the street. It seemed impossible, but my mom seemed even more into this than I was. Soon I arrived at the dance studio, and realized that most dancing hopefuls were arriving in expensive cars. I also noticed something else. I was the only African American there. But that wouldn’t stop me. I knew I wanted this more than anything.

Walking down the tiled floor, the pounding of my sneakers seemed to echo off each wall louder than any voice in the room. I could feel the eyes of every person standing in the hallway watching me. I could hear the whisper, and although I couldn’t make out words, I was sure they doubted I would make it on the team.

“Name?” the woman asked at the front desk. I could tell she was the mother of one of the dancers, trying desperately to get her daughter on the team. Her hair was piled up a mile high on her head, and she wore a fake, forced smile.

“Amanda Hillard,” I replied.

“Date of Birth?” she asked, bored.

“July 16, 1943.”

“Age?”

“15”

She handed me a card, telling me I could proceed into the waiting room. Before long my name was called and I stepped into a large room. We learned a combination, and then we danced in small groups. This was much simpler than the audition I’d imagined, and I mastered it. Every single step was perfect, and I remembered to wear a bright, dazzling smile. There was no question that I had, as my mother told me to, done the best that I could do.

At the door back into the waiting room, some dancers were already being told they had a call back. Others were being told that they would be notified in a matter of days. I stopped at the door, clutching my dance bag. “I’m sorry,” the woman said, “But you’re not really what we’re looking for.”

I looked back into the room and noticed that almost everyone was staring. I’m not an impulsive person, but something inside of me took over. My love for music and dance pulsed through my body, and I ran to the center of the dance floor, and did what I do best. I danced to the music, feeling the beat everywhere. I could see the blurred faces around the room, and for once I didn’t care what they were thinking. The music was a part of me, and I felt like a free spirit. When the song stopped, I walked out the nearest door and started home, not looking back.

Days later, I received a call from the Baltimore junior dance team. One of their dancers had dropped out, and they were wondering if I would like a position as an understudy. “No Thanks,” I said, hanging up the phone. I wasn’t sure what the dance team was looking for, but I was pretty sure I didn’t want to be a part of it. I knew I had something no one on the dance team had. Because when I dance, I can feel it in my soul.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

whooaa katie that was pretty cool.

i especially liked your title, and how it tied into the story. i think it was cool how it was set back in 1943 and how you took the issue of prejudice and applied it to the simple idea of a fifteen-year-old girl wanting to make a dance team. my favorite part was when she passes down the offer to dance for the team, when that was what she had originally wanted so much.

lol so we aren't hanging out on friday with ___. you know, i was sorta looking forward to it and you're lucky i made alternate plans and wasnt forced to invite him to my house just so you could talk to him and i'm sorry for putting all this in a comment but no one will know what i mean =D

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS. that was wickeeeed good. your a really good write i love it. i love your description, like it was described really well like - "Walking down the tiled floor, the pounding of my sneakers seemed to echo off each wall louder than any voice in the room." i love it a lot. its really really good. =)

Anonymous said...

The introduction was great, it pulled me right into the story and got me interested right away. The way you talk about how this is such a big day, but don't reveal why right away is really good! I was suprised to learn that it took place in 1958, I initially expected it to be set in a more modern time. Incorporating the issue of racism into the simple act of a teenager trying out for a dance was fantastic. The end, when Amanda turns down the dance spot is very effective and leaves the reader thinking about her choice.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I really love this story. It's probably partly because i can relate easily to it, but it's also because it's extremely well written and realistic. I thought that it was really ambitious to write as an African American and to incorporate the issue of racism when you (as far as I know) haven't experienced it. I love how you developed her as a strong character and then supported these character traits with her decision at the end to dance for people who aren't racist. This is a good representation of the struggles there are in dance against the way that you look, and how if you stay true to yourself you’ll find a way to do what you love.

And I do know what Christy's talking about. I'm sorry! I wanted you to hang out w. ___ too!

Anonymous said...

Katie: That was such a well written story. I loved the suprise ending. I thought that Amanda was going to take the position. I thought it was clever how she took her dignity over a spot on the team. Great story

Anonymous said...

I really loved your story. It was really catchy. Your first paragraph really made me want to read more. I also think it had a great message. Rejection is something that happens every day. People just have to deal with it. THe main character tried so hard and did her best, and she didn't make it until someone dropped out. I also love the way you put the issue of prejudice in the story, Everyone is the same, and you showed that with the fifteen year old girl.

Mr. B-G said...

Katie, kudos to you for experimenting with time and race in your story.

I like the description in the beginning about the mother's scrambled eggs being a masterpiece.

You also do a decent job building up to the climax of the story - the dance audition.

I had a little trouble understanding the impromptu dance that Amanda did after the audition. It seems like she was trying to show the people there that she didn't need them, yet I'm not sure how believable that was, as you say in the beginning it's almost like she's been waiting her entire life for this moment.

I was surprised she could brush off rejection so easily.

I understand the idea about Amanda not wanting to accept the second offer as an understudy, but I'm wondering how or if she is going to pursue her aspirations of a professional dance career any further.