Monday, March 5, 2007

By Abby S.

In The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, the main character Santiago deals with many different struggles over his four day adventure at sea. This novella portrays an old fisherman whose days are numbered and luck is running out. One day out at sea he finally catches the fish of all fish and Santiago suffers to what may be his death.

Santiago is rapidly becoming old with age but continues to carry on with his passion of fishing amongst the younger men. “He always thought of the sea as la mar which is what people call her in Spanish when they love her.” Hemingway goes on to say that “Some of the younger fisherman, those who used buoys as floats for their line and had motorboats, bought when the shark livers had brought much money, spoke of her as el mar which is masculine.” Santiago realizes that this gender difference in the term amplifies the significant age difference between him and his fellow fishermen, but he will always love the sea no matter what.

The old man is used to leaving early in the morning and coming back that same night. He brings the little food and fresh water he needs for the day. This trip was different, from one day’s small meal he must make it last for an additional three days. As Santiago deals with loss of sleep and famine he never loses his drive to catch the marlin. “He rested for what he believed to be two hours. The moon did not rise now until late and he had no way of judging the time. Nor was he really resting except comparatively.” All basic human survival instincts besides nourishment and rest were ‘thrown to the sea’ as Santiago only thought of catching his great fish.

Powered by the marlin, the fishing line runs through Santiago hands and deeply wounds them affecting their performance. The old man uses no modern fishing tools, but his line and spear, so despite his injury he must keep holding onto the line with no assistance. Santiago contemplated his earlier decision to not take his former apprentice with him on this trip. “ ‘I wish I had the boy,’ the old man said aloud. ‘I’m being towed by a fish and I’m the towing bitt.’” He had dismissed the boy’s earlier suggestion of joining the old man again. The boy was already on a lucky boat and should stay with it claimed Santiago. From time to time, Santiago’s hands would cramp up from the strain of the line. He truly needed another individual to help him reel the fish in.

Internal and external struggles define this novella. From Santiago’s dealings with the lack of nourishment to his hand injury, we can place ourselves in his position and try our hardest to bring the marlin and the old man back to shore. Finally the old man himself deals with his age and how he can see the end coming nearer but still carries on everyday with his profession amongst the newer generation.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great essay Abby! Your thesis was stated right away and was very clear. My favorite quote was from your first paragraph. I liked how you tied the difference in what the other fishermen call the sea with the difference in age of all the other fishermen. My favorite thing about your essay was the quotes you chose and how they flowed into the rest of your essay. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Your thesis was clear and interesting. I liked your first quote and how you looked beyond and made the connection between the quote and age. Your conclusion was great and closed your essay well. I liked the essay a lot and I cant think of any suggestions at the moment.

Anonymous said...

I thought your thesis was very clearly written and I immediately knew what your essay was going to be about. It’s pretty engaging, some people might think it’s interesting that he went on a four day fishing adventure and many struggles aroused from that.
My favorite quotation in your essay is “‘I wish I had the boy,’ the old man said aloud. ‘I’m being towed by a fish and I’m the towing bitt’” It’s my favorite because Santiago muttered this to himself so many times. You did a good job explaining it too; I agree that he needed someone else to help him reel the fish in. I think its Hemingway’s attempt at humor so it’s kinda different then his other dialogue.
One piece of advice I might give you is to have your quotations with the page number at the end in parentheses. For a reader looking at this they might be confused by the quote and want to look back to refer to the passage. Everything else though was very good, you had detail and I really understood what you were talking about. Great job Abby!

Anonymous said...

nice job abby i liked your thesis becasue it was short and sweet and it made sense but i also liked the quotes about how the fisherman whished he had the boy with him to help him nice essay great detail but not boring detail

Anonymous said...

The thesis to this wasn't bad. You really captured all that you needed to and it definitely was direct, but to be honest I did find myself a little uninterested.
My favourite quotation was on his struggle with the fish. It was supported in what I thought was your best paragraph.
This essay did a lot of things well, the explanations were well thought out and written well.
I don't think I could change much, I liked this. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Amazing essay. The thesis statement was clear and strong. I like how you talked about Santiago's skills and about his past experiences. The quotes you used in the essay fit really well. Your essay flowed nicely and was well written. The connection you made in the first paragraph was really interesting and I think you did an amazing job.

Anonymous said...

I thought your thesis was very clear, and let me know what the rest of the essay would be about. My favorite quote was the one about how he wished he had the boy; it showed how much he valued Manolin's help on their fishing trips. I liked how everything (quotes, beginning and ending sentences, etc.) flowed together really well. My one suggestion is maybe expanding a little more in your introduction paragraph.

Anonymous said...

I was so going to use the quote about la mar or whatever in my essay. I really liked that one. The best part of your essay was the end where you made a connection with Santiago and the reader. You said that anyone can put themselves in Santiago's place and I thought that was a very important element in not only your essay, but the analysis of this great work. There were some things I saw that needed some minor adjustments. I'm pretty sure that I didn't see any citation/page number for your quotes. Anyway, Super Scanlon Job!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this was very well written. It was intresting and exciting to read. You provided great vocabulary and great sentence structure. The thesis was clearly stated and well supported. The first quote was best because of your unique way of comparing.