Monday, March 5, 2007

By Katie D.

In the novella, The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway, an old man named Santiago tries his luck out on the sea once again. Throughout the story, Santiago is faced with many psychological and physical challenges that shape the plot of the story and challenge Santiago’s character. He struggles with fatigue, lack of food, and coping with his thoughts of loneliness and aging.

Throughout the novella, Santiago struggles with fatigue. His hand is cramping, he is weak, and he is tired. “I wish I could show him what sort of man I am. But then he would see the cramped hand” (64). This quote shows that Santiago’s weariness has a direct effect on his ability to fish. He is trying with all his might to reel in the marlin, but his hand and the rest of his body will not cooperate. He also is unable to fight off the sharks that come to eat his prized catch. With each shark attack, Santiago becomes more and more beaten. Some fisherman would decide to give in if they were in as much pain as Santiago, but he is devoted to the sea. Through all his troubles, he continues to pursue the marlin.

Another one of Santiago’s troubles is his lack of food. Towards the beginning of his journey, he thinks, “And I do not know whether the sun will rot or dry what is left, so I had better eat it all although I am not hungry. The fish is calm and steady. I will eat it all and then I will be ready” (59). Unfortunately, the old man didn’t know that most of his treacherous journey was ahead of him. He decides to stay with the fish, and soon regrets eating all of his food. He has to use some of the little energy he has to catch a dolphin and eat the fish in its stomach. This tires Santiago even more, and adds another thing to think about. With this on his mind, it is harder to reel in the marlin and concentrate on getting home safely.

Another of Santiago’s struggles is that he must try to keep his own thoughts of aging and loneliness away from himself. It is clear that Santiago is lonely, as he often repeats the words, “I wish I had the boy” (45). He talks to himself in the boat, and occasionally lets his mind wander to some of his past adventures. Santiago also knows that he is aging, and he is no longer the sharp fisherman he once was. Still, he must endure and keep these thoughts away if he wants a successful journey. “Don’t think, old man, he said to himself. Rest gently now against the wood and think of nothing” (66). This quote shows that the old man is trying to focus his thoughts on fishing, and nothing else.

Santiago is able to work through fatigue, lack of food, and thoughts of loneliness and aging. However, all three affect him. Fatigue eventually causes him to surrender the marlin to the sharks, and he arrives home with only a skeleton. His lack of food distracts him, and adds to his frustration. He is able to work through his psychological struggles, but when he returns to his hut, he begins to cry. Although his struggles diminished him, he is not defeated. He lost the fish, but he still has the boy, and a ray of hope for tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This thesis was well focused and clear. Each example ties into the thesis well. Out of these examples my favorite would probably be "I wish I had the boy." The old man repeats this over and over again, and i think that it's a good example of the things that Santiago is lacking and has to work through.
This essay flows really well from paragraph to paragraph and ends nicely.
Next time Katie can make sure that the beginning of her paragraphs vary. Both the third and fourth start the same way.

Anonymous said...

Your thesis was clear, but not boring, which is good. My favorite quote was the one from page 66. It was used well, and supports your idea well. You did a great job of supporting each of your ideas, and the quotes were very effective. You also used less obvious quotes and ideas in your essay that I didn't think of until I read your essay. I agree with what Connie F. said about repeating the beginnings of your paragraphs. Great essay!

Anonymous said...

Katie, I thought your thesis statement was clear and a strong way to begin your essay. My favorite of your examples was the one in the second paragraph on page 64. It shows how the fish is really taking a toll on Santiago's physical endurance. I enjoyed your writing style. You wrote in a way that had just enough detail, but was still able to move along at a steady pace. Although I would have never noticed until reading Connie's comments; I agree that in your next essay you should experiment with new ways to begin paragraphs. Magnificent job!

Anonymous said...

I liked your essay a lot. The thesis was very clear, but not totally blunt which was good. I liked your last quote best - it reminded me of xcountry running when you can't think about anything or else you basically die from pain. My favorite part is how your essay ended, with the "ray of hope" line. I don't have any suggestions :]

Anonymous said...

your story was absolutly amazing. the theme was wel identified from the start and you stuck to it. the story flowed freely and very well. my favorite quote was when Santiago repeatedly tells himself how much he wishes he had the boy and that shows his loneliness so well. the story is organized greatly. there is not much advice to give you because the story was so great. and i love the ending sentence to the essay its perfect!

Anonymous said...

KATIE!` awesome job. Your thesis was clear and understandable. Your first quote "I wish I could show his what kind of man I am, but then he would see a crippled hand" might just be my favourite out of all the other essays I've read (and I've read 6 others, including mine.) I think your 3 middle paragraphs supported your thesis, as did your closing. Beautifully written. I loved it.