Friday, February 1, 2008

One Missed Shot by Matt C.

I placed the ball exactly where it had been before. Just like before I gauged the wind and slowly approached. Then I kicked as hard as I could. It had the same amount of spin as before and I just watched as it went into the upper corner of the goal. Why couldn’t that have happened last time. Why.

What happened last time was just short of a disaster. I am a soccer player and I’m really good judging by what I’ve accomplished. I had just made the Russian national soccer team and was being called great. All of Russia was obsessed with soccer because they thought I was the key to a World Cup. Then we started the World Cup and we advanced through the ranks. I was scoring multiple goals every game. My specialty was free kicks and my accuracy was called deadly. Then the game for the gold came and it was us against England. With about two minutes left there was a hard foul and I was picked to take the kick. I went to take it and was too confident. I screwed it up and it hit the post.

Now I’m back home in Russia and I can’t go out in public. I tried to a week after the game and I was almost killed. I have no idea why everyone is so mad, it’s just a game and the team would never have gone to the finals if I hadn’t been on it. People are calling for my retirement at the age of 19. They think I should just stop playing now because I missed one shot. I might have to quit because I’m scared, so far there have been death threats and my house has been egged every night. The people are insane and even my friends and teammates hate me. I don’t know why I’ve gone from a celebrity to hands down the most hated person in all of Russia. I decided I'm gonna try to go out tomorrow and see if people confront me in person, they probably will. It ain't gonna be fun.

"Boo, you suck" another man yelled at me. "Good one" That’s about the hundredth time I’ve heard that, the fans here are so creative. I should definitely have stayed inside for another week, or a month would have been better. Nothing has gotten better. If possible I think its worse and I don't see how that happpens. Everyone that I walk by either gives me a dirty look or attempts to spit at me. I tried calling my teammates and they still won't answer the phone. This sucks, I'm an outcast in my home country. I just think that the only way I could gain back the support that I once had is by winning again and maybe then they would have as insane a reaction except this time a good reaction. One that includes me being loved by everyone, that would be great. I'm gonna practice again and then won't have to be scared to walk down the street.

I've been practicing for about 3 hours a day and I found a team to join. They are in the Russian pro league and I've already noticed a difference in the number of people that hate me. Now it’s just a strong dislike by most people that I walk by. But they know that what I bring to the new team is insane skills and they know that they're going to win. I hate how people are, they hate me when I make an mistake even though anyone could have done it. Then once I help them win they are back on the bandwagon. If I had listened to them I would have quit and I couldn't do that. Soccer is too much fun and I can't listen to people who know nothing and will change their opinion in a week. I've gotta make my own decisions and continue to play the game I love.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

great job, wait hold on... this is me giving your story a round of applause. i felt amazed on how you wrote the story. i liked how he was talking about what happened in the past. what i saw in my head was this guy trying to walk down the street an d people spitting on him and throwing assorted items at him, i felt bad for the character and laughed at him at the same time.
The character defintely changed from a big celebrity soccer player to a guy that everyone hates and he cant even walk down the street without someone yelling at him. my favorite part of the story is the intro when he kicked the ball into the goal and felt really bad because he is just as mad at himself as the russians are at him.
i thought the best quality is that the story is talking in the past because the main character is telling the story. great job!

Anonymous said...

Matt-
I hated your story. Just kidding but i was expecting better out of your proclaimed "genius mind." I thought most of the story was good, but when your character took the free kick, I think you could have dramatized it a little more. I would of also like if you gave the character a name. I think you could of added a little more detail at spots to make the story more entertaining and funner to read. Overall, I thought your story was pretty good, and you did a good job.

Anonymous said...

matt-
your story was great!!! when i read it i could definitly tell that you play and love soccer. I can relate to how your character felt after missing the shot because even though I'm not on the National Russian soccer team, I've felt that a loss in a sport fell completely on my shoulders. But, nobody spat on me after it. The story made me think about how much I love the sports I play becasue you made your character so dedicated. I don't think your character changes throughout the story because it's not really about how your character is as a person but what he does that's important. My favorite part of the story was when you talked about how much everyone hated him because it was really exaggerated but it shows how competitive some people get in the real world. My favorite line was "I placed the ball exactly where it had been before. Just like before I gauged the wind and slowly approached. Then I kicked as hard as I could. It had the same amount of spin as before and I just watched as it went into the upper corner of the goal. Why couldn’t that have happened last time. Why." right at the beginning because i liked how you were really descriptive. Over all, the best quality of your story was your description. The one thing I wasn't crazy about was that your character came off as kind of cocky but your story was really awesome!

Anonymous said...

Matt. I thought your story was great and very inspirational. I liked the way it started off with a flashback, and slowly fed the reader information about what's going on. I can get a good idea of the situation. I think that, although he has his doubts, the main character doesn't change. He keeps at it until he is back on top. My favorite part of the story was the ending because he is making a comeback "I've gotta make my own decisions and continue to play the game I love." sums up the theme/ moral. I think it's best quality is the writing style and how nicely compact it is, fitting everything in without leaving out anything too important.

Anonymous said...

Matt,
I thought your story was very well written, and I liked it because i can relate to it. Being a soccer player has a lot of ups and downs to it, and I feel like you explained them both very well. I liked how the main character was talking about his past. I felt like that added good character to your story. I think you could have improved your story by giving your main character a name. However, i don't think that the main character changes throughout your story. "I placed the ball exactly where it had been before. Just like before I gauged the wind and slowly approached. Then I kicked as hard as I could. It had the same amount of spin as before and I just watched as it went into the upper corner of the goal. Why couldn’t that have happened last time. Why." I liked this part the best. It was a perfect introduction to your story. I think it's best quality is the writing style. Great Job Matt. :)

Anonymous said...

matthew. great job man. over exceptional. personally, no hard feelings or anything, but i dont think it deserved a round of applause. i felt great for the main character, but i also felt bad for him becuase of how much ridicule he gets. he reminds me a lot of you. i can relate to your main character because of how he missed the free kick. im not on the russian socker team, but i have gone through rough experiences of messing up infront of my team mates and ruining it for them while they hopelessley watched from the sidelines. my favortie line was "why couldnt it have gone in before? why?" i really felt bad for him but also hoped that he would be able to overcome that feeling. honestly mister, great job. i feel like you could have exxagerated the kick a little more, but its all good man. i love you for writing this.

Anonymous said...

I really liked your story Matt. I thought it was really interesting because it was about a topic I really enjoy too. I don't think the main character changed throughout your story. He began and ended the story loving soccer which was all that mattered to him. If he had changed then I think he would've quite because he would've let all the things people said about him get to him. My favorite part of the story was when the main character expressed how he felt about what people said about him. He said that just because people were saying bad things about him doesn't mean it was going to stop him from doing something he loved. This is really encouraging and brings the theme of your story across really well. I believe that your theme was one of your stories best qualities because it made me appreciate the story more and found your story a lot more interesting. I don't think you need to change anyting about your story but there was a few spelling errors. I really liked your story Matt.

Anonymous said...

Matt, your story was really good, even though it was about soccer. When I read it I could easily come to the fact that you play and love soccer. I can’t really relate to how your character missed the shot because I don’t really play soccer, but I think that was important for you’re to put that into your story. The story also made me think bout how much you like sports and stuff because you made you character so dedicated. I really like how you made your character talk about his past. A few suggestions would be to extend the detail of the kick and maybe give your main character a name.