Thursday, January 31, 2008

Coming to Terms by Morgan P.


“Daddy, where’s mommy?” Jordin asked quietly. A tear rolled silently down the six year olds face. Her shoulder length dirty blonde hair blew back slightly in the soft wind.

The pair walked silently along the sidewalk, watching the families running around having fun. Jordin should’ve been among them. The warm summer night was perfect for activity, and the setting sun cast beautiful colors into the sky for all to see. However, this wasn’t a pleasurable night in the least.

Alec wished with his entire soul that he could maintain his usual composure, and be as strong as the trees that lined the path upon which he and his daughter were now walking. However, as much as he longed for strength, it didn’t come at his call. Alec just couldn’t bring himself to answer Jordin’s lingering question.

“Where’s mommy?” Jordin repeated. “Daddy, is everything okay?” And still, Alec said nothing in return. When he saw the concern and fear growing in her eyes, he felt himself tearing up. He swallowed the urge as soon as he felt it. Crying was not something he did very often, and Alec did not want to shed a tear in front of his daughter, for then she would know that something was wrong.

The only thing that kept Alec from breaking down was the intent focus he kept on the building looming at the end of the sidewalk. He focused on the song that was running through his head, ‘just put one foot in front of the other.’ When he was a child he enjoyed singing that song wherever he went, but now it had kind of a scary effect. Alec didn’t want to end up where the path was taking him. However, after what had seemed like an eternity, Jordin and Alec had reached the church.

“Daddy, is mommy in here?” Jordin’s face brightened at the thought of seeing her mother.

“Yes honey, Mommy’s in here.” Jordin already saw it in her mind’s eye. She and her father would enter the church through the door in the back, and her mother would be chatting with Jordin’s godmother, Auntie Erin. They would turn around and smile, and Jordin would receive her mother’s lap as a prize for not making a lot of noise throughout the service. Jordin wiped the tears from her face and smiled, revealing her two missing front teeth. She took her daddy’s hand and entered the church.

Jordin was very confused when she entered the church and she didn’t see her mother or Auntie Erin in the back pew. Instead, she saw a church decorated with lots of colorful flowers, reminding her of the sunset outside. Jordin portrayed her confusion in her expression when she peered up at her father, who was staring straight ahead. Jordin followed his gaze up the center isle, where she noticed a big, black box.

Alec bent down on one knee so that he was eye level with his daughter as he asked “Hey Jordin, are you ready to see mommy now?” When Jordin nodded, still a little mystified by the whole situation, the two approached the black box. Alec scooped up Jordin in his arms and held her close as the two of them looked down on Kristi’s face. Her eyelids were closed and her peaceful disposition was there as always.

“Daddy, why is mommy sleeping?” Jordin asked this question sincerely. Pure wonder resided in her eyes. When her father inhaled and exhaled slowly, Jordin grew worried.

“Sweetie, Mommy’s not sleeping. She’s in heaven now, with God.” Tears now streamed down Alec’s face as he bent down and looked into his daughter’s eyes.

“Hey mommy,” Jordin said now turning to her mother. “Don’t worry about me or daddy. You can have fun in heaven with gramma and grampa now. Me and Daddy will take care of eachother. We will love each other forever and ever, and we will always love you.”

Of course at only six years old, nobody expected Jordin to grasp that her mommy was gone for good. And truth be told, she didn’t. However, what Jordin did understand was the fact that wherever her mommy was, it wasn’t with her, and that was the part that pained her. Jordin was perplexed by the fact that her mommy wasn’t there that night to tuck her into bed. The few tears that she shed that night were nothing compared to a few nights later, when Jordin really missed her mommy. She really wanted her mother to come back from heaven. Despite the fact that Jordin missed her mom, she still did not completely understand that her mother wouldn’t ever be coming back home.

On her 7th birthday, Jordin was pretty sure that her mom wouldn’t be coming home. Ever. She and her dad spent the entire day together, and at bed time she asked him the question that had been present in her young mind for many weeks now.

“Daddy, mommy’s not coming back from heaven is she?”

“No sweetheart, she’s not.”

A wave of sadness washed over her as Jordin realized that she would never see her mother again. She thought back to one of the few things she could remember about her mother.

Jordin remembered how the rush of wind in her face had felt so exhilarating the first time her mom pushed her on a “big girl swing”.

“AAHHH!” she screamed playfully and giggled aloud as she felt her mom’s hand on her back, pushing her higher, and faster still. The warm summer wind was present on her rosy-red cheeks when she rushed forward, and it forced her hair into her eyes when she swung back. Then her mom was in front of Jordin, pretending to catch her feet whenever she came forward. Jordin laughed even harder when her mommy acted like Jordin had kicked her. Then before she knew it, Jordin was back on the ground, trying valiantly, but failing, to become weightless and again feel the wind on her face. Then, she felt her mother helping her off of the swing. Jordin was even more grateful to be in the arms of her mother. She found herself wishing that it could just stay like this forever, her resting in her mother’ arms, peaceful at last.

Jordin was jolted back to reality when her dad kissed her softly on the cheek, saying only “Good night my angel. I will love you forever and ever.”

“Good night daddy. I will love you for always.”

Perhaps some of her mother’s wisdom had come back to Jordin in spirit, but Jordin knew that she would need her mother when she was older. It was the inevitable truth. But Jordin had mad a promise to her mother almost a full year ago, and it was one that she had every intention of keeping. As hard as it would be to grow up without a mother, it would be even harder to grow up without a mother and a father. Jordin would always love her father. And she absolutely refused to forget her mother.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
Wow, you are such a great writer. I could see every image, and every scene that you talked about. You did a great job with your characterization. Your character defiantly grew as the story progressed, she didn't understand at first that her mother wasn't there anymore, but towards the ending she realized her mother wouldn't be coming home, but she would be alright with just her father. If she didn't change then the whole story would just be sad, because the girl would always think her mother was coming back.
My favorite part of the story was at the church when the little girl is talking to her mother.
“Hey mommy,” Jordin said now turning to her mother. “Don’t worry about me or daddy. You can have fun in heaven with gramma and grampa now. Me and Daddy will take care of eachother. We will love each other forever and ever, and we will always love you.”
I liked this, becuase she is so young, and even though it's sad it shows how much courage and bravery your character had.
The best quality of the story was how you made it so that the reader can "see" every scene, your details were amzing, and your words were so specific.
Next time you write a short story, try making the climax stand out more, I had a hard time figuring out which part the climax was.
Other than that though, your story was FANTASTIC!

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
I think your story was absolutely amazing. It made me feel very sympathetic towards the main character because she was just a little girl and her mother died.
I think the fact that the main character was the little girl made the story so much better because it was the "innocent eye" point of view, and it showed how a child would feel after losing a parent.
My favorite part of the story is the part where Jordan is talking to her mother because she really had a good outlook on a bad think, and that takes a lot of courage for a child to do.
The best quality was your descriptions. There was so much detail that I felt like I was seeing everything that happened.
The only thing I could tell you to change is to put a beginning to it, because I'd really like to find out how the mother died. It was still really really good though.
Great job!

Anonymous said...

hey morgan,
Your story was so good! The thing that stood out to me is when Alec and his daughter went into the curch and said goodbye. That was so sad, but I you described it so well that I got a really clear image in my head. The main character definately changed; at the end she seemed older and understood what was going on. I agree with Linsey and Emma, my favorite part was also when the little girl was talking to her mother. She didn't know what was going on, but she stayed positive and didn't breakdown. I think the best quality in your essay was how well you described things. I could picture what was going on throughout the whole story. The only advice I have is to explain the beginning a little more, I din't know what was going on untill the middle of the story. But, I think you did a great job! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
Your story was amazing! You are a fantastic writer. When I began to read your story, I could not predict that the mother of little Jordin was dead. That was, until I read that they were in the church for her mothers funeral. After reading this story I felt really sad that she wouldn’t grow up being able to know her mother. One image I remember clearly from your story was her birthday party. I remember her asker her dad if her mother was ever going to come down from heaven.

I think that the main character did grow a little. I think from the beginning to the end of the story, she finally realized that her mother was dead, and was never coming home. If her mother never died, then there would really be no point to the story.

My favorite part of the story was when the family was at the funeral. I think that you put a lot of thought and detail into that part of the story. It was really descriptive.

“Daddy, where’s mommy?” Jordin asked quietly. A tear rolled silently down the six year olds face. Her shoulder length dirty blonde hair blew back slightly in the soft wind. That was my favorite lines of the story. I liked it so much, because I could actually picture what was going on. Over all I think you did a wonderful job, and I wouldn’t change anything.

Anonymous said...

Morg, this is a really touching story. It's sad when a child loses a parent. Kids need parents, someone to love them and care for them and I think it's rediclious how some kids can't stand their parents and treat them like crap when an orphaned child would give anything to have their parents. Jordin grows up throughout the story, she finally grasps the concept that mommy's not ever coming back. My favorite part is where Jordin talks to her mother, it was really touching. " Don’t worry about me or daddy. You can have fun in heaven with gramma and grampa now. Me and Daddy will take care of each other. You used great imagery, it was easy to picture what was happening. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Morgan!
Your story was great, and was really nicely written. When Jordin went to the church stood out to me the most. Your character definitely changed throughout the story. She seemed to grow up and understand that her mom was gone forever. ‘“Hey mommy,” Jordin said now turning to her mother. “Don’t worry about me or daddy. You can have fun in heaven with gramma and grampa now. Me and Daddy will take care of eachother. We will love each other forever and ever, and we will always love you.”’ This was my favorite part, because it showed that she was more mature and understanding. I think the strength of your story is the dialogue making it so realistic. You did an amazing job, and I wouldn’t change anything.

Anonymous said...

Hey Morgan!
Your story was one of the best I have read. It was so sad, but happy at the same time. Everything you described made me feel like I was right next to the characters in the story. Your character definitely grew in this story. She went from a girl who was so confused about her mother's death, to a more wise and understanding girl. My favorite part was definitely in the church when she says, “Hey mommy,” Jordin said now turning to her mother. “Don’t worry about me or daddy. You can have fun in heaven with gramma and grampa now. Me and Daddy will take care of eachother. We will love each other forever and ever, and we will always love you.” I thought that was so cute and sad.
My only suggestion is to maybe talk about how her mother died, but oh my god, amazing story!

Anonymous said...

wow, morgan that was a great story. it almost had me in tears. it must be really hard to lose a mother when your that young. i felt very sad for her. it seemed like you put alot of felling into it too.
i could see that jordins charcter did change over the time cause she was very confused on where her mom was and where they were going. but then she realized that her mom was i heaven. but she didn't realize that she was never coming back unitl her seventh birthday.
my favorite part of this story would be... the part where jordin says "Hey mommy,” Jordin said now turning to her mother. “Don’t worry about me or daddy. You can have fun in heaven with gramma and grampa now. Me and Daddy will take care of eachother. We will love each other forever and ever, and we will always love you.” it was just so sad and sweet how she said that to her mother. i really liked your description on all the meories that jordin had. i could picture them in my head. i thought it was a well thought out story and there's really no fixing up for you to do. good job.

Anonymous said...

Morgan.
When I was reading it was like I was watching it or something. There was so much imagery! That was the stories best quality I would say. When I first started reading it I thought it was going to be sad but then as I kept on reading it got better and better and less and less sad.
The main character did change dramatically over the story. At first she was depressed and sad that her mother had died, but then towards the end she finally realized that she still had her dad and that it was going to be all good.
My favorite part of the story was…
“Hey mommy,” Jordin said now turning to her mother. “Don’t worry about me or daddy. You can have fun in heaven with gramma and grampa now. Me and Daddy will take care of eachother. We will love each other forever and ever, and we will always love you.”
I thought this was sooooooo cute, and you could just picture a little girl saying this to her mom. It made me want to cry. Hehe.
I wouldn’t give any advice. I thought that your story flowed nicely and everything went together perfect. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Morgan, I love your story. I think I actually started to cry a little when reading it. It made me think of personal experiences, but not stuff that intense. I like how Jordin changes over the course of the story. She realizes that mommy is not coming back and i like how she has like a little flashback moment thinking about her. My favorite part was the rising action, when Alec and Jordin are walking to the church. The description was amazing. "Alec wished with his entire soul that he could maintain his usual composure, and be as strong as the trees that lined the path upon which he and his daughter were now walking." Amazing!!! The stories best quality was its description. The way you worded everything was what gave the story its amazingness. I could see all the scenes in my head and feel what the characters were feeling.
Next time, I would try and explain what the dad is feeling a little bit. Or you could start with something about the mother, from her perspective. But its really really good the way it is!! Awesoome job!!!!

Anonymous said...

This was awesome. It was really well written and developed. I really liked how Jordin developed as a character. It seemed realstic that she wouldn'treslly know what was going on and I think that you portrayed a child really well in this story. My favorite part was the end when she came to terms with the fact that her mom wasn't there anymore but she knew that she still had her father and was o.k.
The best quality in this piece was the development of the plot and of the main character. Really great jod.

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
I completely agree with Emma. You're an incredible writer, and the mood you set for this story was unbarable. I'm almost positive that this story touhed every readers heart. I liked youre description and imagery the best because I could tell how Jordin felt every step of the way, and how hard it must have been for her to understand at such a young age how to live without her mother. My favorite part of your story was, “Daddy, where’s mommy?” Jordin asked quietly. A tear rolled silently down the six year olds face. Her shoulder length dirty blonde hair blew back slightly in the soft wind." I could picture what was going on very well, and it added a lot to your story. The best quality of the story was how you made it so that the reader can actually picture every scene, which is where the details you described very well played an important role. Overall, your story was amazing, and you're an incredible writer. Stick with it because I think you could be very successful in writing. :)

Anonymous said...

Morgan, whoa girl, that was amazing. I felt what it would be like to lose a parent and I don’t think I would handle that if it happened to me. Your story was very emotional, and I almost cried. The character did change over the story; near the end I think she started realizing what death meant and that all she had left of her mom was memories. The story arc did depend on the character because I believe it was about how she changed and accepted that she would never see her mother again.
My favorite part was when Jordin remembered her mom pushing her on the swings, because that part really touched me. This line, “Jordin was even more grateful to be in the arms of her mother. She found herself wishing that it could just stay like this forever, her resting in her mother’ arms, peaceful at last,” was one of my favorite ones. It showed how much she missed her mother and wishes that she could live in the past, which is a feeling I know well.
The tale’s best quality was probably description and emotional value. You described every event vividly, and the emotions contained in your piece were so powerful. My only advice for next time is watch for spelling because I saw a few mistakes.
Your story was amazing and I really loved reading it!
<3 Melli moooooo

Anonymous said...

Morgan, that was a very enjoyable story. Somae parts of it made me sad, and it made me think about the effects of death. The main character matures throughout the story as she realizes that her mother will not come back, but always keeps her love for her parents. My favorite part was the second paragraph, describing her and her father walking "The pair walked silently along the sidewalk, watching the families running around having fun."
I thought that your story used very good description, and that the story flowed well and had a well-written plot. I didn't like how sentimental it was, but I think it was supposed to be that way.

Anonymous said...

I really liked your story Morgan. You used a lot of detail and description throughout your story which made it really easy to understand. I think your main character changed a lot. This is because as the story prgressed she had a lot clearer understanding of what was going on in her life and with her mom. My favorite part of the story was the beginning because it was really interesting and made me want to read more. One of your stories best qualities was the dialog. It made your story a lot more interesting and gave me a better understanding of what was taking place. I dont think you need to change anyting about your story but there were a few spelling errors. I really liked your story Morgan.

Anonymous said...

I really liked your story Morgan. You used a lot of detail and description throughout your story which made it really easy to understand. I think your main character changed a lot. This is because as the story prgressed she had a lot clearer understanding of what was going on in her life and with her mom. My favorite part of the story was the beginning because it was really interesting and made me want to read more. One of your stories best qualities was the dialog. It made your story a lot more interesting and gave me a better understanding of what was taking place. I dont think you need to change anyting about your story but there were a few spelling errors. I really liked your story Morgan.

Erin said...

Hey! its not like you check this any more or anything, but i just thought i'd let you know this is probably my favorite story you've ever written. and i've read a lot of your stories so i dont lie. i also love how im in the story! (Auntie Erin's here, have no fear Jordin!) i feel special =D and alec? come on. you couldnt use any other name? lol.. whatever. you did amazing and i love you so there.