Thursday, January 31, 2008

Game or Grades? By Connor F.

I reached out my hand and grabbed a thick literary packet from my English teacher. This packet accounted for 30% of my grade and failing would be devastating. Putting the paper down to my desk I flipped it face up with hope in my eyes, another F. This brought my grade no down to a low F and playing in the super bowl game Saturday was extremely unlikely. I was the starting Tight End, and Defensive end for my football team, and I would give anything to play in the game Saturday. We were facing the top team in the state, De La Salle, an infamous football team from Concord California, who has won the California State Super Bowl for countless years running. They had an enrollment of over 1,500 kids, which shattered our 600. Our small town of South Hadley put every bit of faith they had left in the success of our football team.

Looking up at the small clock in the corner of my classroom it read 1:56, the day was nearing end. I slowly laid my head on my desk and pondered my possible options. The California State High School Football Rules says that any student with two or more F’s isn’t allowed to play until grades are raised at the next marking term. I only had one F, but a South Hadley football rule is that if you have one F, playing is not an option until it is raised. The bell rang and I rose out of my seat, legs shaking with the news of the F. My English teacher, Mrs. Foley, was sitting behind her steel desk correcting recent papers. She was an older woman, with tired eyes but a large welcoming smile.

“Mrs. Foley, can I talk to you for a moment?” I said shakily as I neared the desk.

“Why yes Darren, what is on your mind?” She said in a kind but somewhat timid voice for she knew I was failing.

“I got the weekend’s packet today and I got an F on it. Grades close tomorrow and I don’t know what I am going to do to pass.” I said hoping for a positive response.

“Yes, I’ve seen that. We are having a small test tomorrow but you need to get at least an A to pass because this packet brought your grade down to a 52%.”

“If I get an A will it bring me back up to a D-?”

“It might I’m not positive but if I was you I’d make damn sure it was at the lowest an A.”

Driving home from school I realized that I needed to study incredibly hard for the test. That night I pulled out my English notebook and studied my notes for hours. The test Friday was on the elements of a plot, and I made sure to memorize everything. Sitting at my desk I read the words over and over until it rang like lyrics through my head. I put my head down to rest my eyes, and when I awoke I was stunned to see it was 6:30. I rushed throughout my house and gathered my belongings and drove to school. Throughout the ride there I was biting my nails and pondering the possible outcomes for the day. Walking into the school the bell rang, and I hustled to my A block class to make sure I wasn’t tardy. Walking through the doors I sat in my assigned desk and waited. The next few minutes felt like days as I sat reviewing my notes one last time. Finally a few minutes later Mrs. Foley passed out the test. Slowly starting the test I had a burst of confidence when I realized that it was 100 times easier then I thought and, at that point I knew I was going to pass.

Finishing the final question the bell rang for the next class and I slowly rose. The rest of the day went by unexpectedly fast, as it was a Friday. Fridays usually go by slower than any other days because you are so excited for the upcoming eventful evening. After the final bell I walked to Mrs. Foley’s English class to see the results of my test. Walking slowly into the class I felt like I was a character from a TV. Show waiting to hear the news of a fatal medical test or something of that sort. She was sitting behind her desk correcting papers and she waved me in.

“Darren, you did excellent on your test; if you keep up this work you are guaranteed to have a higher grade.” Said Mrs. Foley with a sudden, but solemn gleam in her eyes.

A burst of happiness ran through me as I knew now that I was going to be able to play in the game Saturday night.

“But, like I said you needed 100% to pass on this test, the final answer of the assessment you answered incorrectly, I’m sorry but you have a 59%, you are still failing this class.”

At that moment my heart sunk, my head spun and I immediately sat down. She tried re assured me that this wasn’t as bad as it sounded, but I was already out of the door.

Not being able to play in the California State Super Bowl was one of the best and worst nights of my life. I would have done anything to run out onto the field, or hear “Darren Washington” over the announcements after I scored, or made a tackle. But this was also one of the best nights of my life. We ended up beating De La Salle on a two point conversion with no time left on the clock to win 22-21. We pulled off one of the greatest upsets in California football history. Looking back on my high school career, I learned that not playing in the game was one of the most vital character changing events that ever happened to me. Throughout the rest of my senior year, I took school seriously and I ended up finishing top 10 academics for the graduating class of ’11. So now I realize that when some people are born athletes who have everything handed to them, it doesn’t matter because if you don’t work hard, in the end you can’t play in the game without the grades.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY CONOR!

i really enjoyed your story. you did a great job of discribing your situation in the story with your grades and the big football game coming up.

i could really feel darren's pain when he found out that all his studying was for nothing and he still couldnt play in the super bowl game. this is definitely one of the best stories i have read.

Anonymous said...

Hey Fent,
I liked your story a lot. I liked how you used the team that coach taylor talked about. you also did a good job making the point that grades are you first priority. i really felt bad for Darren though. if i were the teacher i woulld just give Darren the 1% so he could play. great story conor.

Anonymous said...

HI FAVORITE!
Your story is awesome, obviously. When i read this story i thought you did a really good job discribing the situation. I think many plaers could relate to the story, and how difficult it is to keep up your grades while dealing with sports and everything else. I think your character changes a little bit throughout the story. I felt bad for darren and that he couldn't play in the game that he studied and worked really hard for. The best part of your story would be your discription of everything. Overall i think you did a super fantatic job on this story!

Anonymous said...

Conor fent, I really enjoyed reading your story. I could relate because its hard keeping your grades up when you have so much going on with sports and other things. I believe Darren really changed over the course of the story. He went from not caring about his grades to really caring about them. At first, the only reason why he wanted to get them up was so he could play football. But, then he realized that he could go far if he got good grades. Overall, good story dude.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the story a lot. I used some very descriptive and thoughtful vocabulary. Unlike other stories, I got a sense of what the character was like and what the conflict was and why it was important. The main character definitely changes (it says he changes). He learned that he needs to work hard academical to do what he loves. My favorite part of the story was the ending because it was kind of a surprise. Although he failed at passing, he learned a lesson, which proved to be more valuable then that single 100. "if you don’t work hard, in the end you can’t play in the game without the grades." sums the moral of the story up. I think the best quality was the vocabulary, descriptions, and varying sentence structure that keep the reader interested.
my advice for future stories is to, well actually I can't think of much. Try using flashback or something to give more of a sense of what the characters history is. Other then that, great job!!

P.S.: I'll still beet you in halo.

Anonymous said...

Yo what up
Good story, I can easily relate to picking my hobbies over schoolwork, because I get in that posisition all the time. Im glad I took the time to read this, because I feel I have learned a lesson from it and the way you described it was great. It is very true saying that your chances aren't to great to get far without good grades, and this story proves it. Once again, great story and I'm glad i read it.