Sunday, September 7, 2008

Friend From Afar by Natalie M

Daisy was a young girl living in New York City. To put it lightly she was not the biggest fan of her life! She lived with her father and her father’s girlfriend. Daisy’s mother died while giving birth to her so they never got the chance to meat. Daisy caused a lot of problems and developed an eating disorder, so her father decided to send her to live in England with her Aunt. Her visit to England started great but then the war hit and everything changed she experienced life in a whole new way in terror and fear. She experienced many hard and difficult things and has changed from it now the next step in her life will to meet hopefully a new friend David Pelzer one of the people she most admires in her life. She admires his courage, his determination and will to survive, a quality that can be found in her. Daisy’s experiences have been tough and terrible but all it will take is a new friend and to see really how tough life can really be.


Dave Pelzer is not called Dave by his family. Instead his mother referred to him as “It”. He lived in Daly City, California just by the Golden Gate Bridge with his family just. “It” was abused by his mother for as long as he can remember. He lived in the basement on a small cot with only one blanket all year long. He is the third born out of five children. With an alcoholic mother and a father that just wasn’t home enough to care Dave experienced the hardest thing in life not being hurt by other people but by the one person who is supposed to love you the most. Dave now grown and accomplished author of his books depicting the story of his cruelty and abuse into his saving and his adulthood will meet someone he admires most in life Daisy now an woman in her 40’s survived a brutal war and lived to tell about it and at the same time managed to find love.


These two people admired each other for basically the same reason they had amazing courage and a will to live and still continued on with there lives without being a victim for the rest of there lives. Now Dave and Daisy will meet. Daisy lives in England with her now husband Edmond at the same old farm house where she first visited and deled with her harrowing tale of war and loss.

There was a soft knock on the door and Daisy hurried toward. She had been preparing for weeks for this exact moment and had pictured it in many different ways. She reached for the handle and pulled the heavy front door open.

“Hello Ms. Daisy”, came from Ted the milkman
A certain disappointment rushed over daisy as she noticed it wasn’t the man she had waited so long to meet, but only the milkman.

“Hello Ted I need an extra quart today, I’ve got a friend coming”.

As she watched the milk truck drive away she saw a small taxi coming over the hill. Her heart was pounding as she saw the car coming closer and closer.

Dave had been waiting for this moment for months. He had been so excited when Daisy contacted him. You can imagine how excited he was when he found out she wanted to meet him too. As the taxi crawled up the hill he saw the house he had pictured in many different ways .The house was so much better than he could ever imagine. It was an old farm house painted a beautiful light yellow, and her husbands garden on the side of the house the one daisy had talked so much about.

As he stepped out of the car Daisy flew out the door to help him with his things. As she approached the door she slowed down and saw a man she had been waiting to see for a very long time now.

“Hello I’m Dave”, was all he said.

“Hello I’m Daisy”, she responded “it’s so nice to finally meet you”.

As Daisy led Dave into the house he was shocked at how beautiful it was inside so big but so cozy at the same time. She introduced Dave to Edmond. Once Dave was done unpacking they went to sit in the garden.

“Wow this is even better than I ever imagined it” exclaimed Dave.

“Thank you it has been Edmonds everything ever since he came back home during the war and I moved here permanently”.

“So how was you flight you haven’t hardly said a word at all”.

“It was great thank you I am just so shocked to be here and to be meeting you, you are one of my favorite people”.

Daisy began to blush, when she heard Edmond calling saying dinner was ready. As they sat down for dinner daisy asked,” I have read you books so many times but I was wondering if you would tell me the story of you life from you yourself”. She thought of so many different ways of saying it before, she didn’t want to insult him or bring any bad feelings up that they didn’t have to.

Dave simply said,” Sure”.

“My life started out pretty normal with me being the third born out of five, my mother staying home with us and my father worked all the time as a firefighter. But about around the time I turned five things started to change. As the more my father was away at work the worse my mothers drinking became”, he said very swiftly like he had said it a million times before, which he probably had.

“She used to make me lay in bathtub full ice cold water for hours on end.”

“She always used to make me clean the bathroom and she would put ammonia in a bucket with bleach and make me inhale it for hours on end.

“The worst I would say was when she stabbed me she was drunk and holding a knife and she fell forward and stabbed me right in the stomach”.

Dave lifted up his shirt to show Daisy, she winced when she saw the long thin line going across his stomach.

“Thankfully some teachers at school had me rescued and I was put in foster care and have grown up and have a son of my own.

“Now tell me about your story”, replied Dave

“Well I was living in New York City with my father and his god-awful girlfriend and my dad thought it would be best for me to move to England with my Aunt Penn And my four cousins”, She started

“Well I loved it here when I first got here; I even met the love of my life Edmond”.

“Then the war started no one really knew what was going on at first and everyone had there theory’s as to what exactly was happening.”

“When the soldiers took over the house we were separated”.

“It was me and my youngest cousin, we were relocated with another family, and finally worked our way back to the house.”

“We were finally reunited together but I was forced back to the U.S., when I finally made it back to England I stayed for good”, she finished.

Dave thought wow who would think during all that you still had the will to survive and the courage to go on with you life. This is one of the greatest people I have ever met. Dave didn’t know but at the exact same moment Daisy was thinking the exact same thing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked reading this story. I felt blown away after reading it because it seemed so real. While reading this, I could see Dave walking up to meet Daisy for the first time. I can imagine him being shocked at how beautiful her house was. An idea I have in my head is that ever since Daisy and Dave told each other about their previous experiences, they knew they would be great friends because they both went through some pretty hard things. This story made me think about how bad some people have it and that people should appreciate everything they have.
The conversation between the two characters seemed authentic. How the characters explained their experiences made them seem real and natural. I think this did because it is very natural for two people to be having a conversation about their troubles.
My favorite part of the story is at the very end when both the characters are thinking the same thing. "Dave experienced the hardest thing in life; not being hurt by other people, but by the one person who is supposed to love you the most." This was a line that i really liked. The part about being hurt by the people that are supposed to love you the most really stood out to me because it seems this happens to a lot of people and it is really unfortunate.
One thing that I found a bit distracting is you forgot o put a few commas in some places which made some things a little hard to understand at first.
Next time you could maybe try and describe the characters physical characteristics and traits. This would make your story even better than it already is!