Friday, October 12, 2007

Afghans on the Tennis Court by Jaysen O.

What makes an item truly special? It is the place you obtained it from? Is it made by a person you hold dear? Items hold countless memories and feeling from us, making them special. Whether they have financial worth or they are just an unforgettable memory, the items we hold closest to our heart are the most special, the pieces that hold our most wealth.

The two different shades of green imprinted on the homemade afghan sits folded on my bed. It is an ocean showing the shallow and deep waters separated only by its own waters. The yarn woven, wrapped together my father made this wonderful work from his own two hands, and I’ll hold onto it until the day I am no more. During the single week that he made it, I occasionally watched him weave the yarn together with great accuracy and speed, and he didn’t miss a beat. Everyday he worked at it, never stopping, believing that one day it will be finished. When it was completed, though the simplicity of it was simple, it was something that someone made just for me, and I’ll never forget that. The Style and the fact that my father made it isn’t all that I’m happy to have this for. For the simple reason why it’s been made: It’s used for warmth. During the winter I have thicker comforters to use, but I enjoy my afghan as well to warm up in autumn and winter too. It’s one of my most prized possessions. It was made especially for me, there’s only one like it, no other material possession I have can be like the afghan my dad made.

Two days of heat, altogether 10 hours of watching, running, and intense competition. The summer tennis tournament I made it to this past summer was the highlight of my summer, despite it was at the end. But during that time, it was the best part of my summer. Watching the intense competition with my friends, running around practicing, it doesn’t sound like a lot of fun watching, but when I got out on the court, it’s a whole new world. The Sun was always beating down on our faces, it messed a lot of things up, but it’s all apart of the big challenge of the major summer event. Adrenaline was everywhere. While you were running, you had to remember to step with the right foot, the aim of your racket when you hit the ball, the fact that if you miss the hit, even by a mere inch, it could cost you the game. The First day was horrible, the sun was intense, no food for the hours that we were outside, it hindered our skill on the court, my partner and I did extremely badly.

Even though we also lost the second day, we were a lot more proud of ourselves. The last match of the day, my partner and I were totally in sync, and our strategy was practically flawless. The way we carried it out, however, got the best of us. The final Set, in a deep second tiebreaker with the opposing team, they score, we score, they score two more times, we pass their score, and they catch up. It seemed like this would never end, my partner and I doubted our ability to go on, but the adrenaline, the support of our other teammates kept us going. It was us with a score of twelve, them with a score of thirteen, the last couple of seconds on the game, our hearts were beating so fast it felt like they skip a few beats every few second, the opposing team hit a lob, my partner says he got it, it hits, and it swerves over to the right. “Out,” they called. We weren’t disappointed. It was a good, long game, and we were relieved that it was over. That concluded the summer tennis tournament, and the best time of our summer. Even the next fifty tennis tournaments I play in can’t compare to the first summer I made it to the tennis tournament.

Both my homemade afghan and the tennis tournament are both important to me. The differences are, my afghan can be lost damaged, or stolen, whichever one it may be, that’s bad. I can still lose my memory of the tournament, but it’d be much more difficult.

But I have my afghan as a financial item because it’s a concrete item, but I couldn’t put a price on that. I can’t put a price on my memories, no matter what. So Even though there are many differences between two items I hold close, I couldn’t ever get rid of them, under no means.


So, what does make an item truly special? It is simply the fact that even if you had 1,000 of that item, that one, if it had some significance, even if it helped you complete your homework, than that item will always be apart from the rest. In my case, my first tennis tournament is special because it was my first one and I did better than I thought I would have. My afghan is special because my father made it for me. That’s what makes items special.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This essay made me think about how much you and I have in common with our values. You value tennis and I value basketball. I love how you explained your passion for the match, not just winning it. I do not have an afghan, but I can sense how much you honor and appreciate it, especially because it was made by your father. It was very clearly described on how much the item is priceless to you. Jaysen, you did a great job and I do not have any changes I would make to it, Good work!

Anonymous said...

Jason, you did a real good job on the essay. You did well describing your afghan and how much it meant to you. You also did a good job describing how difficult the tennis tournament was. We can relate because in our priceless part we both had a sport. But you had tennis, I had baseball. We also both played in tournaments throughout the summer. I can tell that both of these things mean a lot to you, just like mine. We have a lot in common throughout our essays. You did a really good job, keep up the good work son.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaysen,
One thing I cant stop thinking about is who was your partner. I was thinking maybe you could have added his first name.Your essay was really good it had my attention the whole time I was reading it.You essay clearly describes how much you love your afgan.In the begging you showed great detail on how your afghan was just laying on the bed. The moment of you playing tennis was described good too!

Anonymous said...

Nice essay. I like how the opening paragraph brings up questions about value and makes the reader think about it. The vivid descriptions of things make you get a good picture of its physical form as well as associated memories and feelings and values. There were a few minor grammar/ spelling mistakes, and some words that might have been used too often or could be replaced with better ones, but for the most part it was too small to notice. And I liked the varying sentence structure. It's interesting and keeps the readers attention.
The 2 supporting paragraphs were well written and served their purpose well, giving a good compare contrast view of different types of value, expanded near the end in the second to last paragraph.
The conclusion sums up the supporting paragraphs, but I don't get the feeling that it complements the opening paragraph as it should. You should answer the questions and complete the thoughts raised in the opening paragraph as well as give some new opinions and thoughts on value and what makes something, weather it be physical or not, valuable. All in all, very good gob!

Oh, and tell us who that partner was!

Anonymous said...

I really like your essay Jaysen. The contrasting of the colors , the adjectives really describe your Afghan, and the adrenaline and intensity in the tennis court made me want read more and more until it came to the end. It is always good to show in an essay like this, but if you need to, tell. It is very discriptive. Very good essay.

Some thing I would suggest next time is that there are some runny sentences, but not that many that would make a big impression. very could essay Jayson. Some days, i wish i could write like you!
NICE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Overall, this was a very well written essay. You seem to value things with emotional rather than material value. I definitely thought the part about the tennis tournament was the stronger of the two. It was almost twice as long as the afghan part. I enjoyed your conclusion, although it was a little short, and your writing seemed very well thought out. I could point out some simple errors in the essay's flow and grammar, but nothing big. Keep on writing essays this good!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More