Friday, October 12, 2007

Sports Perfection by Matt C.


A lot of things are valued in society and some of them should be. An ipod is advertised a lot but it’s really a useful item. You can listen to music wherever you are. Then there are the other things that people value but really have no value. Like that split second where a soccer ball crosses the goal line. Those things are often overlooked and it takes some thought to decide what you really value. Those moments that can't be taken away and produce the best memories.

$$$$$$$$

I pass it to Joe and he turns to his right and is on the way to a breakaway when he gets tripped from behind. The ref blows the whistle and calls a free kick from a few feet outside the box. As one the team turns their heads to the coach to see who he will call to take it. "Matt, you take it," he yells. "Let’s go Matt," my teammates whisper as they walk by "You got this one." I step up and place the ball on the spot of the trip. I scan the field looking for holes and teammates. Everyone's covered so I decide to shoot. As it comes off my foot it feels right and I stand and watch. It glides through the air and slips through the goalie's outstretched fingers. GOALLL! AHHH! I yell in my head. My teammates crowd around giving me high fives and congratulations. I might scream in my head but my face gives away nothing. The other team can't know I'm happy; they've got to think I wasn't surprised that it went in. It feels so good that moment that I score. It’s a mixture of relief and joy. The pressure that you have put on yourself and that your teammates have on you is lifted and just getting a goal makes me happy. It doesn't matter what else has happened in that game, the goal makes everything better. It’s the ultimate accomplishment and there’s nothing like it.

$$$$$$$$

I finish my homework and strap on my cleats. I’m headed over to the field to play with my new lacrosse stick. It has a brine E3 head and a python optra shaft. It has beautiful white mesh with black sidewall strings. I hate to get it dirty but I just can’t resist playing with it. I could spend hours shooting and messing around. The reason it’s so awesome is because of it’s endless possibilities to try tricks. It’s so much fun to try new tricks that I’ve seen and even better to try others that I’ve invented. I’m never bored as long as there’s no snow on the ground. I got my stick in pieces since you have to buy the head, shaft, and mesh separately. I got my head from Dick’s Sporting Goods and got my shaft the same day from another store called Whips. I just got my mesh this past summer from Coach Mayola. In all it costs about 200 dollars. My stick is an extension of my arms and cannot be replaced.

$$$$$$$$

Both things I value have to do with sports because sports are by far the thing that I enjoy most in life. My stick lets me explore the world of creativity and challenges me to break boundaries set by tricksters before me. It might be my most valuable item because a lot of money has gone into it over time and I do examine it from time to time to make sure it hasn't been dented or scratched by opponent’s sticks. My stick also is special in the way that it allows me to play lacrosse, which is my favorite sport. Playing with someone else's stick would almost feel wrong and without it I wouldn't be able to play lacrosse. So my stick is more valuable than just its value in dollars it is also valuable in the way that it entertains me and allows me to play a sport I love.

$$$$$$$$

The moment when I score a goal is valuable to me because it makes me extremely happy. It is also good because in my opinion it is a great accomplishment and I feel proud when it happens. It’s that moment when those hard practices pay off and you feel ready to continue the hard work for that moment of extreme happiness. It’s a way for me to prove that I'm a skilled player and a way for me to gain respect from my teammate and recognition from coaches. When that ball crosses that line it is a great feeling that few players get to savor.

$$$$$$$$

Both my stick and my goal scoring moment are challenging in their own ways. You have never used your stick enough and you never have enough goals so the challenge is always to do more. I believe I like them because I'm never done and there's always room for improvement which is a great lesson in sports and a great lesson in life. I'm not sure which I value more but I am sure that I will continue to enjoy them both and I will keep on playing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grate essay! I like the opening paragraph. It makes the reader think about value and what defines it as well as giving clues to what the rest of the essay are about, as a good opening paragraph should.
The supporting paragraphs are very well written. They provide a good picture of what's going on (unless you don't know anything about lacrosse), in addition to thoughts and opinions on why and how they have value.
Also, I like how the 5th and 6th paragraph complement their corresponding 2nd and 3rd paragraphs with finishing thoughts on how and why the "goal scoring moment" and lacrosse stick have value to you.
The conclusion is very well done, summing up the entire rest of the essay while proposing a view on value that I haven't read or considered before. Things have value because they are unfinished, unperfected, or or have room for improvement.
In the entire essay, i found very little spelling and grammar mistakes. The sentence structure and interesting vocabulary kept my attention well. And nice way to separate paragraphs with dollar signs. Good job!

Anonymous said...

This was really good dude. I know that you like both lacrosse and soccer and i wasnt surprised when i found out that you wrote about them. I didnt find many grammar and spelling mistakes in your essay. It was easy for you to keep my attention in this essay because i like both of these sports. Even though i dont play them. You were very descriptive and provided good pictures throughout your whole essay. Even if I didnt know you were good at both soccer and lacrosse, I would understand that from your essay because you say that you practice so much. I liked how you explained what was on your stick and how you didnt want to get it dirty. Overall, it was a really great essay and it kept my attention. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Matt,
This essay was awesome. your paragraph about the goal was your strongest point. I really liked how you said your face was blank when you scored.

The decription in your paragraph about lacrosse was great, although it could have been longer. the conclusion was very well done, and I enjoyed how you quickly wrapped up your essay.

kyle C said...

Matt-
I really liked your essay. It was an enjoyment to read. You gave great detail about scoring a goal in soccer but I think you could of gave more detail about your lacrosse stick. Your conclusion was very good and i like how you wrapped it up. I can tell you vlaue both scoring a goal in soccer and playing with your lacrosse stick. Well written essay and it kept me entertained throughout.

Anonymous said...

Matt,
great open it really got me thinking. your nasty at soccer i could see why you chose it. writing about scoring was good too because that happens often in our games. great descriptions and vocaubulary i could really tell what you were talking about.

Anonymous said...

matt, great job, i loved it. the intro was great, really drew me in and the conclusion spit me out, great diction and very descriptive writing. ur goal paragraph was no doubt the best part of the essay. great job.

Anonymous said...

it was dumb

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More