Friday, October 12, 2007

Bop Along to the Beat by Kaitlyn B.

I find now in life, that I’m discovering what means most to me. Since we’re getting older and wiser, we are all finding out what we are more dependent over than other things. One thing I do know is that the value of everything I cherish differs. For example, my computer is much more valuable than my tart burner, but way less in value than my family. Some things you could put a price on while others will remain priceless.

***

I had an awful day. With loads of assigned homework, a bad test grade, spilling my lunch on me, and not to mention it was a bijillion degrees hot out, my Friday was not going as planned. As soon as I got home, I rushed upstairs and straight to my room, and I slammed the door behind me. Then I leaped up onto my bed and let out an enormous sigh. On the bridge of tears, I quickly grabbed my ipod and turned on my favorite song.

Suddenly, my problems began to dissolve away. I finally felt great. It was just me and no one else in this private get away paradise with not a worry or a care. Songs have a funny effect on me. My day could be going on dreadfully, and just hearing a good song makes my day.

My ipod nano is snowflake white on one side, and a gleaming mirror on the other. Its small and slender size is very convenient, making it attainable for me to bring anywhere. It’s like having your own personal DJ traveling with you wherever you go, play whatever song you wish, whenever you want to hear it.

***

The lights turn off and that’s my long awaiting cue. I run on stage, half ecstatic and half nervous, but ready to “show off”. The curtains lift up, the headlights blare like sunbeams, and the music starts up. Then I dance my heart and soul out.

I put all my energy in it, and I don’t give up. I occasionally look down at my feet to make sure they’re doing what I tell them to do and not being clumsy, but I love looking into the crowd, and I can’t help but smile. It’s like presenting a year long school project, but you’ve worked mentally and physically on it, for a chunk of your life with your best friends, who have the same interest as you do in making this the best dance combo yet.

I don’t know if it’s the pulsating music, the cheering crowd, the astonishing routine, or just being up there with friends that makes me love this. Its like I can’t resist to dance to the beat, I just can’t help it. It’s a passion truly worth dieing for.

***

I value my ipod and dancing for different and yet similar reasons. My ipod nano gives me a sweet escape to be alone and worry free. It’s like my ticket to a tropical get away. I got it as a birthday present from my parents about a year ago. It was two-hundred dollars then, but with newer ipods out like the ipod video nano, its value has probably decreased on the market. But I wouldn’t trade it for a new one.

My ipod also keeps me updated on loads of things. It has my reminders of upcoming events in it, pictures of me and my friends, and only the latest and greatest music. Its almost like I rely or depend on it, but it’s not like I’m obsessed to the point of vulnerability without it.

Dancing is a way that I can express my feelings and emotions without being mean in any way or form. When the music comes on, I find it easy to just bop along to the beat. Dancing is also a motivation for me. When I see dancers that are performing better than me and have mind-blowing routines, I want to be as good as them or learn that certain routine. It’s like a goal to constantly be striving for. Dancing takes hard work and patience just like school, but its like a year long project that you are devoted to.

Both my ipod and dancing let me be myself without caring or feeling stupid. The routines and music let me express who I am, music emotionally and dancing both mentally and physically. This might sound stupid, but when I hear or do these things, it’s like an emotion I can’t describe. Almost like I couldn’t be any happier or more free. I guess this is just a priceless outcome out of my two items that I don’t think I could live without.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaitlyn!
I enjoyed your essay a lot. I could clearly see what you value most. I really liked how you wrote about your ipod. I'm not sure if that was a hypothetical situation or what, but it was full of detail and very interesting. I think that your strength was your conclusion. It was very well written. I think the only advice I can give you is just to work on making your introductions stronger (possibly?) but I peer editted it, and you did a great job making it stronger. I really enjoyed reading this. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

KAITIE B! Hey, I really liked your essay, and it showed that you really value your iPod and dancing (which by the way I never knew). My favorite part was when you were talking about your iPod and said how it was like your own personal DJ. That was a really good analogy. I think your overalll strength was that you put so much personality into your essay. I really knew that it was you who wrote it by your word selection, and everyhting else. I would consider for next time to make your intro a little bit more clear, it lost me a little. You did an absolutly beautiful, gorgeouss job!

Anonymous said...

Heyy Kaitlyn!!
I loved your essay. I thought that you definitely put a lot of work into it and it showed through. I know now that you value both your ipod and dancing, and these values were clearly expressed throughout the entire essay. I feel that a strength of your essay was your conclusion. It really tied everything together, and made a clear distinction between your two values while at the same time, showed their similarities. One suggestion that I have for you is to add in more detail about your values. Maybe an anecdote about a time you were on stage dancing? Anyways, I really enjoyed reading your essay, and it really opened my eyes. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn,
I loved your essay. It was very clear and descriptive writing about your ipod and dancing. My favorite part is when you talked about you ipod. I think the strongest part of your essay was the conclusion. The only suggestion I have is to make your opening a little stronger. I really enjoyed your essay, great job!

Anonymous said...

Kaiwin!! Your essay was gorgeous! Amazing description of your iPod. I like how you said it was your personal DJ and how you use it to calm down and relax after stressing. DANCING!!(hell yea! hip hop!) I think that you described the dancing well, too. You could have added a little bit more to that, but it's still good.

I think your weak point was your introduction. It didn't realy grab my attention. Your conclusion was awesome, though. It really wrapped the essay up nicely. Good job!!!

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn,
I thought your essay was great. Your introduction was well written, and was one of my favorite parts of the essay. I liked how you showed what a difference music can make when you are feeling down. I also liked how you combined music and dancing, and how they can be useful at the same time. I would suggest that you would describe more about dancing. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaitlyn,
Awesome job, I thought it was great. I like the title. I also like the way you described how much your music means to you, I know what you mean. There were a few spelling/grammar mistakes, but otherwise it was great. Very colorful vocabulary, it really had lots of voice in it. I enjoyed reading about how much you enjoy dancing too. (one of my favorite pass times) GOOD JOB! :)

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn,
Wow. I loved your essay! I think you did a great job describing both your valuable object and priceless feeling and I couldn’t tell you which I liked more. In your essay, you conveyed to me that you love being yourself, no matter what. I don’t really have any suggestions for your next essay only to keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaitlyn,
What a wonderful essay. What I really liked was that you tyed the two things you value together. What I mean is that you can dance to the songs on your iPod. It was very well written. I thought you used great adjectives to describe things. The only thing that I have to write down as something to improve on is, to make your intro better. If you fix that I think you would have a spactacular essay.

P.S. What is a tart burner?

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaitlyn,
What a wonderful essay. What I really liked was that you tyed the two things you value together. What I mean is that you can dance to the songs on your iPod. It was very well written. I thought you used great adjectives to describe things. The only thing that I have to write down as something to improve on is, to make your intro better. If you fix that I think you would have a spactacular essay.

P.S. What is a tart burner?

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More