Friday, October 12, 2007

The Perfect Balance by Morgan P.


There comes a time in everyone’s life when you have to take a step back, and watch. Whether you want to or not, you have to begin making decisions on your own. You have to take responsibility; responsibility for your actions, your self, and the people around you. You have to be mindful of everything you are doing, and of those that you are influencing. Everyone takes this step back at different times. When you do, it helps to know and understand what is important in life. You have to think, “What do I value?”

***

The wind is in my face, blowing my hair back, away from my eyes. I can see everything; the girl dribbling the ball towards me, and my teammate making a run up the field. I can hear the people on the sideline cheering, and my coaches yelling. I charge. I lunge towards the ball, and the person dribbling it, just like I’ve done a million times before. But this time was different. A searing pain ran from my knee to the rest of my body. I froze out of pain and fear. I went down. I hated getting hurt. I always felt weird crying, and then not being able to go back in. This time was different. I could feel it.

I was on the sidelines now, and my knee was about three times the size that it should have been. I wasn’t going to be able to go back in this game.

I had made it. A whole week without playing soccer... I thought I was going to die! But I was still alive, and now I could play again. I couldn’t wait for practice that night. I was running around and my knee was fine. Thank goodness. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had to wait a whole other week.

Then it happened. I tried a cut move with my left foot, and a sharp pain shot through my whole right leg. I almost fell, but I fought through it. Probably not the best thing that I could’ve done, but I wasn’t going to take the chance of being out another week. That was torture. And I was fine. Sure, my knee hurt almost non-stop, but it wasn’t hurting that badly.

However about year later, I was at soccer tryouts. The double sessions were really doing in my knee. It was hurting more than ever now and I didn’t know how much more of this I could take. Then, it happened again. The same horrible pain that shot through my leg the last year came back, and I collapsed when my knee gave out. I was out of tryouts for the rest of the day, and had a hard time walking.

My mother took me to the doctors. After some x-rays and exercises, he said that I had patella misalignment. I later found out that that meant that the muscle on one side of my thigh was stronger than the one on the outside of my thigh, which makes my knee cap move back and forth when I’m running, and causes tension on my patella tendon. The doctors gave me a knee brace to wear when I’m playing soccer, and it helps a lot. My knee doesn’t hurt at all when I’m just walking, and it only hurts a little when I’m running. If it weren’t for my knee brace, I wouldn’t be able to play soccer.

***

Here in South Hadley, a winter wonderland is every child’s dream. While in every other aspect of life I am a “young adult,” here, I qualify as a child.

Every winter, I look forward to the first snow of the year. I love running outside at the earliest possible moment. I make snow forts with my siblings, and have a never ending snow ball fight. We make snow angels, and snow houses, and have tons and tons of fun. After we eat lunch, we walk down the street to the high school and sled down the hill there for hours at a time. When we finally get home, its dark out and we are frozen. We quickly change out of our wet clothes and into the warm ones that my mom just took out of the dryer.

My dad turns on the fire place and a good family movie. Then we sit on the couch, and carefully sip our hot chocolate. It’s so yummy. The creamy, chocolaty goodness with fluff sits happily in my stomach. This is what I live for.

If there’s a time when the four children in my family EVER get along, this is it. This feeling is amazing. You know the one where everything seems okay? Where everything seems to make sense? It’s the feeling where for, even just a second, you’re calm. The world just stops for a second. There is peace, everybody is happy, and the inside of you is all warm and fuzzy. I wish that I could feel like this all the time. But all good things come to an end. And this time does too. That’s why, on the rare occasions that I get this time, I cherish it very much.

***

My values, the things that are important to me, are my knee brace, and snowy days. While on the surface, these things may seem extremely different, deep down, they relate. My knee brace allows me to play soccer. Both soccer and snowy days by the fire help me to express myself.

So, in this crucial time, you need to know what it is that you value. When you know that, you will discover who it is that you are aspiring to be, whether it is a soccer star, or someone with a chaotic life, where calmness is a rarity. You will become a better person. And you will like yourself better because of it. So go discover your values, and find that perfect balance, of physical and priceless values.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morgan, I really thought that you did a great job with this piece. I could clearly tell what you valued most and you explained why with a lot of really great detail. It was hard to choose, but I think that your "priceless moment" value was written about the best. I think it was all of the great details you added in that made me enjoy it so much. It made me feel like I was there. All of your details are really what made this so great. The only advice I can give is just to double check your spelling and grammer a little more nect time because I noticed a few grammatical errors, but overall everything else was very nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Morgan, I really liked your essay. I've always known you liked soccer, and who does'nt like snowdays, and I never thought that they could relate to eachother. I thought you described your snowday amazingly! It brought so many childhood memories back to me. The best part of the snowday paragraphs was the was how the whole family will just get along and is peaceful sitting by the fire and sipping the hot chocolate.
In this essay, I thought your biggest srtength was how you wrote it. The essay just flows so easily. Some advice I have is write more for the snowday part, or less for the soccer part. It just should balance out a little more. Otherwise your essay was astonishing. Keep up the hard work! :)

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
you did a great job! :) you had lots of describtions and that pulled the reader into the story more. oyur opening paragraph made me think, which it good, it drew my into you essay and made me wanna read more. GREAT JOB!

Anonymous said...

I really liked your essay. I think that your whole essay is strong but I really like your intruduction. It sets the picture for what is important. It shows that they both have great value to you. I also think that you discribed both events or moments really well. You put a lot of detail into the essay without it being overpowering to the piece. I don't think you need to change anything except for one or two grammatical mistakes. This was a really well written piece.

Anonymous said...

Morgan! Your essay was really good, and I enjoyed reading it. Now, I have to talk about the stuff that i am required to put in this. I could clearly tell what was valuable to you, and that is important. My favorite part in the essay is when you described the moment in soccer when your knee got hurt. I could really feel your pain and relate to it when my ankle got hurt. I think your strength was your description. You did a wonderful job explaining about everything. I think you need to work on your introduction, it was unclear and sounded sort of thrown together. Other than that i thought you did a great job !

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
Wow, your essay is so good. Your intro paragraph pulled me in. I liked how you talked about your knee brace, but tied it into you playing soccer. I thought that was a good idea. I also liked how you talked about a snow day, and what you did.

I think that all of your paragraphs were really well writen. I could tell you thought a lot about what you were going to write before you actually did write. The only advice i would give you is to re-read the essay just to make sure everything sounds the way would want it to sound. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Morgan! :]
This was one well written essay. There was nothing that I thought you needed to correct or fix, so great job. I really loved the description in this. In your paragraph about soccer it really shocked me when you described when you got hurt. It sounded like your knee really killed. I also really enjoyed your description of a snowy day. Suprisingly I can relate to when you said that's the time when you get along with your siblings. It's the same for me too.
Oh and the title of your story really pulls it all together. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Morgan,
Your essay was awesome! I loved how you described snow days and soccer. There was lots of description and was great imagery. Your opening paragraph was great. One suggestion is to check your spelling and make sure everything is clear, but your essay was excellent and nicely written. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
I loved your essay, and I loved the way you started with questioning values, and talking about responsibility. I can tell how much you love soccer. I can't believe that you would fight that hard through all the pain, just to continue playing. You showed that really well in your essay.
I think that the essay's strength was in writing style. Everything seemed to work in with the story, and nothing seemed out of place. The essay was great, and i really liked it!

Anonymous said...

Morgan :)!! That was awesome! I like how there was a story to along with your knee brace. I liked when you described your snowy days. It made me feel calm and relaxed. I like how you described your feelings on snowy days, when your siblings actually get along. That was probably the best part. I think your introduction was strong. I like how you started out questioning values and how you said we need to take a step back from our lives. Your conclusion was a little waeker then your intro, but not by much. I think if you were to fix something, it would have to be word choice. I think you could use more adjectives to make it flow better. I love the title too, catchy. Gorgeous work darling!!!

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
I thought you did a really good job on your essay. You did a great job using all the descriptive words and i could deffidently picture the scenes.
i think you did a good job comparing both items as well. one thing i think you could improve on is re-reading your work. otherwise your essay was really well written. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
I think you did a nice job on your essay. I have the same problem with my knees. I know the pain you are talking about, so I can definately relate. I have knee braces too, so I agree that they are very important. I liked your conclusion the most. I think you ended it perfectly. I think you described your values very well. I think two or three of your sentences need to be rephrased, but otherwise you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
Great job for one thing. I loved reading your introductory paragraph. It was most definitely your strongest paragraph. I also liked your paragraph describing your prefect snowy day. I know exactly how excited you are when you see the first snow of the year (mostly because I was with you when you saw the first snow of the year :]) I could tell that you really value being yourself and letting others know exactly who you are. I don’t have any suggestions for next time because I thought you did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Morgan,
This was a great piece. What i liked the most was the intro. Man did that get me to read the rest of the essay. I love snowy days, they bring me so much joy, and this essay reminded me of that. Also with the knee brace I can see how even a financial worth item can bring a priceless moment. That was what i most enjoyed thinking about, because of your essay. Great job again!!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More