Friday, October 12, 2007

From Books to Band by Libby M.


This world is entirely made up of things; things of low value, things of high value, but there are things that are so valuable there can be no price put on them. How do we know what something is worth? How do we know if it is priceless? Or is value just another abstract concept?

現在有所不同

Reading is one of my favorite things to do. I love being able to open a piece of literature and travel into someone else’s life, world, and situation. Every night before I go to sleep, I pick up a book and read until I get too tired to understand the words passing before my eyes.

Books have turned some of my worst days into some of my favorite days. I travel into someone else’s mind and see that their problems are worse than mine. I travel with my new friend as I help solve their problem, simultaneously calming and soothing myself. After reading a good book I can fix my own troubles with a sounder mindset and softer outlook.

I remember when I was younger my family didn’t have much. I would go to the library and live in a place where I wasn’t always hungry and my clothes were in better shape. People who don’t read are missing so much. For the first several years of my life books were the only way I could get everything I needed like friends and happiness. The release I got from living someone else’s life kept me from giving up when we lived in such hard times.

現在有所不同


The football game the night before had been all right but this was what we had been working for. All the practices, all the running, everything we had done was just for this one day. You maybe thinking we’re on a sports team. I suppose you’re right, but not the way you were thinking. We are the South Hadley TigerPride Marching Band.

It was November 4, 2006. It was USSBA Championship Marching Band Finals. We’d had a great season, but it all came down to this. The six-hour bus ride down to Allentown, PA had been boring but most of us either slept or practiced our music.

I was in the pit percussion ensemble and was pushing my vibraphone down the sidelines of the massive J. Burney Crum Football Stadium. I could see Ryan and Billy Ray with the marimbas ahead of me and could hear Rose with the auxiliary cart behind me. Mr. Wardwell was with the winds and battery and I almost envied them but was too nervous about my own show. Imagine a normal football field. Then, behind it, erect a 4 story seating area. On top of that put concession stands and fill it all up with people. You would probably be nervous, too.

The group before us finished their show and Iris tapped off the cadence. That song always filled me up with pride. It was our song and they played it with absolute perfection. The band stepped off and the pit crew rushed to help us set up our equipment on the field. Jake stepped on to the podium and…

We quickly put everything back onto carts and pushed everything off the field. We marched back to our King Ward bus and changed out of our uniforms. I glumly trudged back to the stands to watch the bands after us. We were going to be there awhile.

Finally, it was time for the awards. Jake and Maggie stepped up to the sideline with Kayla and we roared. We were proud of our performance and were ready for what ever we got. First, they gave out honorary mentions.

“These are the groups that were too bad to place,” Lindsey leaned over and muttered into my ear. There was an audible sigh. We made it through. Next they called out 8 places. Of the 8 groups they were about the call, 3 started with “south” and 6 started with an “s.” Picture it, a group of about 40 high school students and 2 middle school students as tense as they could get, jumping every time the announcer said a word that started with an “s” sound.

“In second place with best percussion and a score of 90.875… South Hadley TigerPride Marching Band!” We don’t even know who won 1st. All you could hear were our screams, cries, and catcalls.

現在有所不同

I can sell my books. I could never ever trade the feelings I felt when they announced our band to the stadium, though. That doesn’t mean they can’t be priceless. But, when was the last time you saw a competition memory for sale? I value that more then you could know. I feel like I belong when I open a book or look back on that experience or others I have had with the band.

There are lots of things of value out there. There are plenty of things that are so valuable they are priceless. We all have things we love and cherish that can be sold. You can’t sell a memory but don’t even try to tell me that our past is worthless. Everything has a value. You just have to find what is valuable to you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Libby,
I would like to first off state that you did an amazing job on your essay. I really could good what point you were trying to get across. I love the fact that you wanted people to know that it doesn't matter what you value, no matter what price it can be [high or low].Books being your value with price, and your competition standings as your priceless.I love the fact that you in detail described how your team felt about the standings, but you deffinitly left a huge cliff hanger when you just were liek "and..." when you were about to preform.
I relly do believe that there was not one weak point in your whole story.Everything to me seemed to be cared out amazingly.As one of your really strong points though is your word choice, and writing style. You can deffinitly tell it's you talking in this story, and the way you use your words is awesome.I really don't know what to say when it comes to what you need to work on. Everything was just awesome! Keep to upppp

Anonymous said...

Libby, I really, really enjoyed reading this piece. You included so much detail, and I could easily tell how much you valued both things. I think that your strongest point was deffinately writing about the band, and I could tell because it blew your paragraphs about books away. You included so many great details that I could picture everything -- what it looked like, what was going on, and the excitement and nervousness. I also think that your conclusion was another strong point. I liked how said that you could sell your books, but never your band memories. I don't think I could give you any advice because the whole essay was very well written!

Anonymous said...

Dear Libby,
First off, I love your style of writing. I felt like I was right there when everything was happening. I also respect your view on values, and I think you really got that across in your essay. The detail that you use is amazing. My personal favorite part is when your describing your competition. I thought you used great grammar and you really described your feelings. You have really made me think about value. You are an extremely strong writer. I can hear your voice in my head as I read. I couldn't find a significant week point. I truly hope i have another opportunity to read another piece of your writing. AWESOME JOB LIBBY!

Anonymous said...

Libby, I would like to start off by saying that you did an amazing job writing this essay. I loved the way you described how who feel when you are reading a book. How it is a way to escape life, and enter into a different reality. That is exactly how I feel, so i can definitely relate. Also, I liked how you expressed your suspence at the band competition through your writing by saying "and..." I thought that both of your values were described equally. However, I really got into the anecdote about the marching band. I guess it is just something that I am interested in.

I think that an overall strength of your essay was being very descriptive. Everything in your essay showed me instead of telling me. I also felt like I was there, experiencing what you experienced. One thing that you could do better next time is editing. I noticed a few typos and mistakes, but it was still easily readable. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Im not gunna lie, this was one of the best essays ive ever read. Even though i never read essays. But really, i was really good. The sentences were filled with detail and you explained everything so good. I relt like i was there in your shoes during the competition. Also, i understand what you mean when you say that you can go into another world when your reading a book. I didnt see any spelling or grammer mistakes, which is good. Overall, i really ejoyed the essay. I read it all the way through and never got bored with any of it. Good job.

Anonymous said...

libby,
i thought this was an awesome essay. it is the best that i've read so far. it was brilliant. i could feel the happiness that you had when you guys won second. i can relate to you about the books because i love to read too. like you said it seems like your in someone elses mind and your living their situation. i really liked how you left the suspense when your like "and..." i thought what is going to happen next. you had a lot of detail. there were no bad parts or parts that need improvment. i think it was perfect the best i've seen. your writing had excellent word choice and a wonderful writing style. i hope i get to read more of your essys (if you make anymore). other than that i thought it was amazing. keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hello Libby!

I have to first say, this is a wonderful essay! It was long enough so that I could understand what your saying and it was describtive enough so that I ebjoyed what you had to say. I have definatly read some bad, boring essays, but this is the total oppisite! I liked that you compared your books and the love of reading them to your band competition. I could certainly tell that you enjoy reading, and playing in the band. It was good that you chose that priceless moment in the band.

Books are helpful, and playing in the band must be really fun!
I think our essay really depicts this concept. Job well done Libby! Your essay is very good, I personally can't find a mistake. It made me think that if more people thought about priceless items and moments like you do our world would be in a better place!

Anonymous said...

Chlibby!! First, your essay was awesome! I like how you describe reading your books as a getawayfrom reality. It reminds me of my reading every night before bed. The description was really good. I loved the paragraph when you explained finals. It sounds so exhilerating!! It makes me even more anxious and excited for finals this year. You just make it sound so amazing! The descriptions were so realistic! I loved it! It was probably the best description I have read. I loved the way you said "and....". It was building suspense. Your intro was good, too. I like the way you used questions. It created sentence variety and made a good point. You word choice is awesome, too. I think if you had to change one thing, then it would be the title. It think you could be more creative with it, but that is just a tiny detail. Your essay is one of the best I have read. Godd job, chica!!!

Anonymous said...

Libby M
I think your essay was really good. I think that you did a very good job at explaining what you were trying to say. I easily understood the value that you have in both your books and your memory. Your strongpoint was your band paragraph and it had great description. I also thought you explained the way you get lost on books really well. I thought the whole thing was really good.Great Job Libby M

Anonymous said...

Libby this was amazing! Every line was full of detail!!!! I love how you describe books and then all about the band!
Keep up the great work!
John's mom,Dawn

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More