Friday, October 12, 2007

Living in a Material World by Kay T.


People all over the globe are unlike each other in multiple ways. Our idea of value can define who we are. It affects our lifestyle and quite possibly our attitude toward life. Some people value the material things in life, while others value experiences or feelings. Is value something you can’t see? Or is it the amount of money you spend that makes something of value to you?

-@@@@@-

The lights are dim; I peak around the corner and see a row of harsh faces. My heart is pounding out of my chest. The spotlight is centered on the stage, my heart beats faster. I hear a familiar tune…That’s my cue! I twirl onto the stage. Then it happens. The audience disappears, and it’s just me, the stage and the music. Being here in this moment are all of the reasons why I adore dancing. All of the long, strenuous hours worked on perfecting every little detail was paying off. I hit my triple turn and the audience roar. Sweat trickles down my spine as I finish my ending leap.

I can see the judges’ smile in approval as I exit my safe haven. My dance teacher grabs me and congratulates me on how well I did.

Dance is my passion. I love it to no end. In order to get better I have to extend myself past my comfort zone. When I finally hit my routine it is like an explosion. I just feel right. These are the moments I truly value. I thrive to be the best performer I can be. I can’t put a price on my admiration for dance.

-@@@@@@-

I’m lying down on my couch when Jack Johnson starts blaring from upstairs. That must me Lida! I think to myself as I race up the stairs. I reach out and grab my cell phone. Sure enough it was her.

There is one thing that every teenage girl raves about, her cell phone. A five inch Orange piece of technology that I rely on to keep me in contact with my friends. I must have saved up for at least a year to get the Envy.
With about fifty buttons, most would say it's a pretty awesome phone. On the outside it appears to just be a regular phone, but on the inside is a whole keyboard. This is great for me because I am a terrific texter. I can even go online or play games. My Envy is rockin’.
Whenever I go out my cell phone is always in my clutch. Whether I'm texting my friend or just talking on the phone it does not leave my site.
If my obsession with it isn't enough, my cell phone has really been able to protect me in sticky situations. When I feel uneasy at all about the people I am around, I quickly whip out my cell phone and call someone to come and get me. I just imagine all of the times I’ve had my cell phone. If I didn’t, I wouldn't have been able to call anyone

-@@@@@-


Both items are of immense value to me. Dance gives me happiness, and the freedom to let loose and be myself. I don't have to worry about anything when I’m dancing. I guess you could say it is my own relaxation method in some form. It also is physically good for me, and keeps me in shape all year round. My dancing has to price, but I value it with everything I have.
My Envy is a completely different story. Drop it or Scratch it, you are dead. It is the most expensive thing that I carry around and I really don't know if I could pay $200 again to repair it.
Even though my phone is worth a lot it also gives me protection. Say someone tried to kid-nap me, or I thought a stranger was acting oddly around me. I whip out my cell phone and call for help. Although cell phones can be bad in many ways, they are great objects in other ways.

-@@@@@-

Now we bring ourselves back to that question. Is value something material or is it feelings and experiences? I believe that neither answer is wrong. I do believe people are getting obsessed with valuing material things over abstract things in our society. I personally think that abstract values are better in many ways. Material things will fade but abstract things are always in your mind or soul. Both Dance and my cell phone give me some sort of security. If it’s knowing I can contact someone when I need to, or being in my own element on the stage or in the studio, I can say one thing about dance that I can't say about my cell phone. Even though I say" I could never live without my cell phone", reality is I could. I am passionate about dance, and that feeling is something I value more then anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like how you start your second paragraph. how you express how your feeling. you can really feel the emotions. your priceless thing is dancing, and you truly value it. your valuable object is your cell phone. and it shows that you really care about it because it took you a year to save up for it. and it shows that you really love it and are for it.
i think you are a really good writer. i like how you list many good things about either your cell phone or how you like to dance. but the only thing i think you should do next time is add a little moreydetail about dancing. other than that it was perfect.

Anonymous said...

KAYYYYY! first off, hahahahaha on how you started your paragragh on your envy..drop it or scratch it, you're dead. It made me laugh. I think you did an awesome job, the way you described your dancing was very vivid and i really enjoyed reading about it. I think you could have provided a little more detail about your phone but you gave many good examples of why a cell phone comes to good use. I like your dance paragraph best, though both were great!

Anonymous said...

Kay,
Wow man, I can’t believe I’m only your second comment, this is bogus. With an essay like this should be sky rocketing off the charts with comments. I loved how you picked dancing as your passion and you phone for valuable items. My favorite part was when you described dancing. I made me really relate to you and created a picture in my mind. It felt like I was there dancing with you. Since I dance too and love and cherish it as well.
Your writing style in this piece was not like a lot of the others. You used your own voice, the same voice as I talk to you every day in. You weren’t trying to be someone else, you acted as yourself. I like that. Next time while writing your next piece, consider double checking for grammar and spelling mistakes. ;) NICE JOB KAY!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More