Friday, October 12, 2007

Baseball is how I do By Garrett B.

There are two things in this world that I would never give up for anything; they are my Sandlot tournament trophy, and the moment when the Red Sox won the World Series. I would never give up my trophy because it represents success I have had in my life that was probably the biggest thing I’ve ever done, except for going to AAU basketball Nationals in Florida. I would never give up the moment the Red sox won the World Series because it was the first time they won it in 86 years, and they are the home team and my favorite baseball team.

My Sandlot trophy is huge. It has to be at least 30 inches tall; it comes up just about half of my thigh. The color is dark brown and is made of fake, refinished wood, and the guy on the top is in the batting stance and is a golden plastic. In my eyes the trophy represents a success that has happened in my young life. I don’t think its all about the trophy that it is my most valued possession it is the memory behind the trophy that makes it so much more priceless. The 9-6 victory over Ludlow and the two RBI’s are what really makes the trophy so much better.

The more important reason why this trophy is so priceless is because we beat Ludlow to win it. We only beat them once in the regular season out of the three times we played them. They also knocked us out of playoffs and they knocked us out of going to states. They spoiled pretty much most of our season, so beating them with one of the best pitchers in western mass. Is pretty big. They added the kid on for the sandlot tournament because the coach’s son played on the same team as he did, so they just added him on because he was really good. He pitched every game, and he pitched at least 5 innings a game. But, we managed to get walks and a few hits off him and he scored 4 runs off him the most than all the other games in the tournament combined. So, beating them in the famous sandlot tournament with one of the best pitchers, I call it even.

The most priceless moment of my life is definitely when the Boston Red sox won the World Series by sweeping the Saint Louis Cardinals in four games. I remember it like it was yesterday; I was half asleep in my bed watching the fourth game of the World Series and the red sox needed three more outs to reverse the curse of the Great Bambino. I should have been wide awake and jumping around, but the last week being deprived of sleep because of watching the Al Pennant between the Red sox and the Yankees all I could do is barely staying awake. There was two outs and Edgar Renteria had two strikes on him, I sat up in my bed, and I thought it was a beautiful dream, but no it was real, then all of a sudden the batter hit back to the pitcher Keith Foulke, he stabbed at it and he caught it in his glove, I could tell he was just as surprised as I was by the look on his face, he walked over to first almost in a jog, he flipped it the first basemen Kevin Millar, he caught it in his glove a good two seconds before Edgar Renteria reached first base. There was a huge group of Red Sox players, but all I could see was Jerseys and limbs flying everywhere. They finally did it, they won, they defeated the Angels 3-0, the Yankees 4-3, and then the Cardinals 4-0 in the series record, they went 11-3 in total games of the playoffs, after the celebration on the field was over and it went to the dugout, I shut off the TV and tried to go to sleep, but I couldn’t, I was too happy, too exited. When I woke up in the morning I could barely walk I was so tired.

When I went to school I saw all the smiling faces of the red sox fans and the gloomy faces of the Yankee fan, I was happy, but so tired of all the lack of sleep, I just wanted to sleep through the school day, not celebrate with all the people around me.

That is why my priceless item and moment is so important to me; I wouldn’t give them up for anything in this world. It’s like a priest giving up his bible or selling his bible and like Manny Ramirez forgetting he is a World Series MVP.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garret your essay was very good, I liked it alot. You described the Red Sox winning the World Series very well. I enjoyed reading it. One suggestion is you should make your title more clear and make your conclusion longer. In your conclusion you should explain what else you think, but still include what you already have. I did really like the paragraph above the conclusion though because it was neat to see that you still remember that day! Overall I liked your essay.

Anonymous said...

Garrett,
I really liked your essay.You did really well explaining why you liked the trophy, and the story behind it. Apparently you really care a lot about baseball and your passion really comes out in the essay. You explained very well how much you love the Red Sox, and how happy, and tired, you were when they won. The only advice I would give you is to check your grammar, but everything else is great.Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Garrett, your essay was really good. I liked all of the information about your sandlot tournament trophy. I bet that it does mean a lot to you. Did everyone on the team get one or was there just one that the team shared? I think that your information about the Red Sox winning the world series was the strongest part about your essay.

You could have added more information to the end of you essay and had longer sentences, but overall it was a very good essay. Great Job.

kyle C said...

Garrett-
I liked your essay a lot. You gave great detail about the sandlot game and I can relate to that becuase i was on that team. I t really was a great feeling and you expressed that in your essay. I saw a couple of spelling mistakes and run on sentences but I didn't see much. You had a good use of vocabulary and gave good detail about the Red Sox. You could of had a little better conclusion but overall it was a great essay.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More