Friday, October 12, 2007

Moments to Remember by Jessica M.


What is it that makes humans worry more about what Britney Spear’s did last week, or what the coolest new accessory is then worrying about the poverty of a thousand children, or the death of our own soldiers? No one knows why, but every American does at one point. We all get caught up in celebrities, our own popularity, and what other people think of us to even worry about others in need. We don’t mean to, but we do. Everyone’s values in life are very different. How we measure that, is the mystery.

*********

I wake up from a slight touch of a little hand. I slowly turn over to see my little brother’s face sadly look back at me. I can see the fright in his big blue eyes. I grab him from his little waist, and gently pick him up onto my lap. I wrap my arms around him and tell him everything will be alright .I start to see his eyelids start to get heavier and heavier until finally he falls fast asleep. I carefully stand up, and gently pick him up off my bed. I wrap my fingers around the door and slowly open it so it doesn’t squeak. I walk across the hall into Thomas’s bedroom and place him into his crib. I stare into his eyes, still fast asleep, thinking of how much I love him. He slightly opens his eyes as if saying,

“I love you” himself.

Every weekend I go over to my dad’s house, and I get to see my little brother Thomas. He is pretty much the reason I go to my dad’s house, since I don’t have the best relationship with my father. Every night Thomas sneaks out of his crib, me still wondering how he does that, and opens my door. He never sleeps through the night for some reason. He walks over to my bed, and grabs my hand, knowing I’ll comfort him. I stay with him until he’s fast asleep in my arms.

Thomas and I are the best of friends. The moments I spend with him are the most priceless moments ever. To see him take his first steps, say his first words, or finally be able to climb the swing set all by himself are the moments that stay with me for life. He has made me a more responsible, and over all better person. Without him, I wouldn’t be the person I am today.

Every week I look forward to the days I get to spend with my little brother. He is the reason for my strength through all my problems in life. Whether it’s with school, or my family, I can just think of him, and it puts a smile on my face. These nights make me think of how much I need him, and how much I love him. He will always be my little brother.

*********

I jump on the school bus, and grab my seat in the back with my varsity volleyball team. I pile my backpack, gym bag, and purse on the left side of the seat ready to go. When I hear the rumble of the starting bus, my stomach fills with butterflies. I start to worry about the game, and how I’m going to do. “Will I mess up?” runs through my head a million miles per hour. I quickly grab my purse, and rip out my I-Pod. I turn it on and flip through my songs until I find the perfect one. I lean back and turn the volume all the way up ready to disappear into the music.

Before every game I get really nervous, so I turn to my I-Pod. I usually listen to a song with loud beats that motivates me, and pumps me up for the game. Some songs inspire me to try as hard as I can, and do the best that I can. Music inspires me to do different things every day.

When I listen to a song I can get lost in the lyrics and beat of the music. Music is a way to express myself, get energized for a game, or just relax alone. I have a blue I-pod Nano with a capacity of one thousand songs, which is plenty to hold all my different varieties of music and all my favorites. It is the perfect size too. Not to big, but not small enough for me to lose it. I value my I-Pod greatly, and wouldn’t know what to do without it by my side everyday, 24/7.

*********

I value my time with my little brother and my I-Pod in different ways. Of course my time with my little brother is more important then a materialistic object, but I love my I-Pod as well. When I’m with my brother I feel happy and a sense of family and love. My I-Pod lets me express myself, and feel free and relaxed whenever I want. Both items are very important in my life, but in different priority.

Whether I’m comforting my little brother, Thomas, or listening to my new favorite song to get pumped for my next volleyball match, I cherish each moment with both. Some of my values in life are financial, and some what you call “priceless”, each different in there own way. There’s nothing better then laying in your bed listening to a great song, or teaching your brother how to swing for the first time. Every moment with them, to me, is,” priceless”.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

jess, i really like how you start your essay. i can really see what is going on.i can picture your little brother coming into your room and you trying to comfort him and putting him back into his crib. that would be my favorite scene from your priceless moment.
for your valuable object, i really like how you say that when you get nervous for your volleyball game, you put on your i-pod to inspire you. i also like how you say the lyrics get you lost in the beat of the music. that was really well written. you are a very good writer and i like how your sentences vary. good job!

Anonymous said...

Jess,
I LOVE YOUR ESSAY!!! Its awesome! You did such a good job. you really made the reader feel like they were the with you.I loved the paragraph about your little bother. IT WAS ADORIBLE!! And your beginning paragraph was so strong you really grasp the reading into what you are going to be talking about. GREAT JOB JESS! YOUR ESSAY IT AMAZING IF I MAY SAY SO MYSELF.

Anonymous said...

HIIIIIIIIIIIIII JESSSSSS!!!! GREAT ESSAY I LOVED IT!

GUESS WHO?!?!?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Jess,
I thought it was so adorable about your little brother, I can totally see why you would value that. Also I can tell why you would value your ipod, it's a great way to get ready for big events. My favorite part of the essay was on your brother. You make me want to have a little brother too! I loved how you said when he looks up at you it's like he's saying, "I love you too". You did a great job describing how he makes you feel, that was definatly your strenth, also how you "showed" your scenes.
I don't think that anything has to be changed here. The only thing that I would say would be that at some point, you say that you don't know how he gets out of his crib, but you use the word me, I think it might sound better if you used the word I. Very good essay, nice job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess!
I love your essay. I can tell how much you value the time you spend with your brother, and listening to your Ipod. When you talk about your little brother, I can see how much you love him.
I think that the strenth of your essay was in your conclusion. You wrapped everything up in a great way. Next time, consider describing some things a little more. I loved your essay! You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading Jess's paper a lot. I like how she told an inspiring story to show her value of her borther. This part was my favorite part in her paper. Jess explained every detail in her writing. Her paper didn't leave me with any questions, I understood it completely. Her essay was very inspiring and I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
I really loved your essay. Your little brother sounds so cute! I can just see him climbing out of his crib, and going into your room. I loved your description. I thought your strenth was deffenitly the paragraphs on your brother. I liked how you said when you think of Thomas everything is better.

I also liked the paragraphs on your ipod, but i would add more detail into next time.
Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
I love your essay so much. The part with Thomas is adorable. I like how you say that you value your iPod, but moments with your little brother are more important. My favorite part is definitely the paragraph about your brother. I think the strengths of your essay are the introduction, and the Thomas paragraph. I like the iPod paragraph, but next time I think you should add more detail into it. It was such an amazing essay though, great job!

Anonymous said...

Jess,
I really like your essay!!! You did such a great job with detail. It painted a picture I my head as I read. I could tell that you loved your little brother very much. I could also tell that you loved your IPod. I think that you love youre little brother a lot more than your IPod even though you talked about then just about the same.

My favorite part of your essay was how you painted a picture in my head. I liked it all and wouldnt change anything. Nice Job!!!

Anonymous said...

jess, i liked the intro and conclusion of your essay, they really drew me in and the conclusion stopped at the perfect time. i really liked how u are inspired by ipod, even though thats kind of odd? it was a great essay and i didnt see a grammar mistake.

Anonymous said...

Jess,
Your essay was really good. Your brother seems really cute. That's great that you have such a good relationship with him. Your ipod also seems really important to you. It must be great to have an ipod for long rides. It must help you focus and get ready for your game.
I don't think you really need to change anything in your essay. There was really good details. You also used great word choice. Great job Jess!

Anonymous said...

Jess,
Wow i really liked your essay. my favorite part was when you described your time with your little brother. it made me feel like i was there with you at your dad's house.
I also liked how you described your ipod. i could tell that it meant a lot to you before a big game. I also liked how at the end you compared both items together and what you valued more. you did an amazing job.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More