Friday, October 12, 2007

House Of Golf by Brian R.

On the tee box on the 3rd hole par three, I tee up my ball low. Taking a couple practice swings, I step up to the ball and concentrate. With a sand wedge, I hit the ball a mere five feet past the cup and watch it spin back toward me. Looking on with anticipation, the ball drops into the hole and I instantly feel extremely happy. I didn’t know whether to jump for joy or just sit there soaking it all up as the people I was playing with congratulated me with “nice shot”, or “that was sick”.

I have only been golfing 2 years, but I have improved a lot. I used to shoot not so good, but lately, I have been shooting a couple over par. I play on the South Hadley golf team as a freshman and that has been really fun so far. We play teams from all over and get to travel to different courses across western Massachusetts. Golf is such a relaxing game and it keeps me calm when I am stressed out. I have just started to play it and enjoy it, but I know that I will play even when I get older and retire. I have played at courses all over the place including Ledges, Orchards, St. Annes, Agawam, Longmeadow, East Mountain, East Longmeadow, West Springfield, Minnachaug, and Pittsfield, among others.

My grandpa and dad were the ones who got me into playing golf. I’m happy that they did, because I play everyday and love it. All of the kids on the golf team are insanely good at golf. They usually shoot under par, evenly par, or a couple over. Playing with them is fun because they help me get better and they encourage me to play better. As a team, our record so far is 10-2, having lost both matches to East Longmeadow. Overall, I believe that golf is a memorable game that I will play all my life. The feeling I get after making a hole in one is indescribable but is the best feeling in the world. I love golf, especially when I play very good.

I wake up on a Sunday morning, get up, and walk downstairs. Lying down on the coach, I put on the TV and search around the channels. A half an hour later, I go into the kitchen for a nice breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and bacon with orange juice. After breakfast, I fun upstairs to take a shower and clean my room out afterwards. Throughout the morning, I see my family that consists of my mom, dad, and sister.

The item that I would say is the most financially valued to me would be my house. I have lived at this house in South Hadley for about 13 years, almost my whole life. I live near the commons and the Orchards golf course, which is perfect because I can play there all the time. The neighborhood I live in is pretty quiet mostly, which is fine with me. There aren’t many kids that live around me. My house is light blue and has about 10 rooms total. My house is always warm in the cold winters and cool in the hot summers. I love how it is always comfortable and cozy and is perfect for the time of year and weather outside.

Whenever I am tired or exhausted, I can lie down on the coach with a nice cold or hot drink and watch some TV or a movie. Also, when I am extremely bored or have nothing to do, I will go upstairs to my room and play videogames, especially Madden. There is many other things to do at my house. I have a basketball hoop, and a decent sized front and back yards. In my backyard, I have an above-ground pool and a deck. In the summer, we eat out on the deck, and my dad barbecues on the grill back there. Overall, I love where my house is located, what we have there, and what I can do in my house.

Even though playing golf and my house are completely different topics, they are related in one way. My house and the game of golf both make me feel at home. Obviously when I am at my house, I feel at home because it is my legitimate home. But, when I step onto the golf course, I also feel at home. Even though I haven’t been playing the sport that long, I have grown a kind of love toward the game. Every day that I go golfing makes me like it even more, and the better scores I put up, I have more confidence in myself as a golfer and a person.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that this essay was greatly written and showed how you love golf. You described everything well and I can relate to loving your house and golf. I use to play it and it is very relaxing. There's nothing like the feeling of getting under par. Great use of vocabulary and I hope to read more of your writing.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
I agree with what zack said about how you described your love for golf. your a great golfer and playing with you is always fun. your house is always entertaining too. coming over and going fishing with you or skating out front. great vocab good job.

sam p said...

Brian,
I really liked the was you expressed your love towards golf. I've only been golfing once in my life and did absaloutly terrible. I go mini golfing a lot and I'm nasty at it.

I really liked the way you made your house feel so cozy. I've never been over your house but I bet it's very comforting on the inside. Great essay Brian.

Anonymous said...

Brian!!! I thought you did an aweosme job on your essay. You discribed everything so well. It really shows how much you love golf and playing it. I'm not a golfer so i can't relate to the essay but after reading it, it makes me want to go and learn how. I thought you had good vocabulary and everything. They way you discribed your house made it sound like a cute home rather than just a house. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Brian R,
ROKO, I thought you did a great job on your essay. You described everything so well and it was very clear and understandable. The way you made golf seem was spectacular. It really shows how much you love golf and playing it. It created a picture in my mind and it felt like I was right there with you.
I thought that your word choice and your writing style was rather interesting. They way you described your house made it sound like a cute little home rather than just a plain old house. My advice next time would be re read your essay to make sure there are no errors. (: Good Job Brian!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More