Monday, March 24, 2008

By Brian R.

Throughout life, a person is forced to make choices and live with the consequences that follow those choices. In the book Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway writes about a poor, everyday fisherman who has to make important choices and live with the consequences. One of the greatest choice he had the make was the decision to stay out at sea for three straight days. After making this important decision, he puts his physical fitness, health and even his reputation at sea, on the line.

Santiago makes the choice and when he comes home from being out at sea, his physical fitness is weak. Throughout the book, you can somewhat see that the old man has a relationship with his hands. Being a fisherman, he uses them all the time, and relies on them to do his everyday work. You can understand the relationship from this quote, "How does it go hand? Or is it too early to know?" (59). From being out at the sea and using his hands all the time, they must have started to hurt, and wear down. Also, considering Santiago was an old man, around 80 years old, he must have experienced many pains. He battled a fish about twice his size, that is a huge amount of weight, especially for an old man of his age.

The old man had to live painfully through the physical part of the trip out at sea, but he also had to live through problems with his health. At first, he had enough food and fresh water, but after awhile, his supply ran out and he was left with nearly any. Being so determined, he tried not too think of how little he had and he focused on catching the marlin. Also, the old man went days without sleeping, so he would not miss his chance to catch the fish." 'But you have not slept yet, old man,' he said aloud." (77). Going without sleep, food, or fresh water is extremely dangerous for your health. When Santiago stayed out at sea, he had to risk his health to catch the marlin.

Santiago is an elder who has been fishing for all of his long life. Ever since he was a young kid, he has been out with his father on the sea, catching hundreds of fish. When the old man catches and kills the marlin, I feel like the fish felt disappointed and a sort of anger toward him. “ ‘Keep my head clear,’ he said against the wood of the bow. ‘I am a tired old man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work.’ “ (95). This quote shows how close he is to the fish and creatures of the sea, having spent so much time around them. I believe that once he killed the marlin, their relationship sort of faded and died.

The book Old Man and the Sea was full of important choices that Santiago, the old man, had to make. He knew that with every decision he made, came consequences that were for the worse. He stuck through those consequences and showed a lot of courage throughout the book. Santiago showed that he could live through physical and emotional pain, he showed he was stronger than how he looked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shindiggy-
Great job on your essay. Your thesis statement was kind of hard to find, but it was very good. I can tell that you took your time writing this essay and put some thought into it. Your second paragraph was the strongest, because it had good detail and you made it clear what you were trying to prove. Your first quote was the strongest because I thought it was integrated the best into the story. You did make a couple of mistakes but all in all great job!

Anonymous said...

Brian, I really enjoyed reading your story. Your thesis statement was clear and easy to understand, but you didn’t specifically state the three choices that he made. I think that your best body paragraph was your first because you had good description and you quote fit in very well. I think that your vocabulary throughout the story was decent, but you could have worked on that a little more. Also, I think that next time you should carefully revise over your story because I saw a few grammar mistakes. Besides that I really enjoyed reading your story.

Anonymous said...

Briannn, I really liked your essay. Your thesis statement was very clear and easy to understand. I think your second quote was the strongest. This is because it flowed with the rest of your writing very well and it helped prove your main point. One thing you did well was that you used some interesting vocabulary. This made your writing a lot more interesting and clearer to read. I think that your third paragraph was the strongest. This is because you made very good supporting details in this paragraph. I don't think you need to change anything about your story Brian, I liked it the way it is.

Anonymous said...

Brian
I thought your story was ok. It didn't blow my socks off or toot my shoot but I thought you had some very well written parts. I agree that Santiago has an important relationship with his hands. They are a crucial part of his job and lifestyle at that. If he didn't have his hands he would probably die. Also I think that the old man being as old as he is this couldn't have happened in real life I think Santiago would surely die from all the physical strain he is put under. Great job though baby keep it up.