Monday, March 24, 2008

By Kay T.

Specific qualities that authors give their characters in a novel help shape the story and that character. Most of the time, specific qualities tie in with the theme. In the novel The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemmingway, the main character Santiago shows a great deal of determination throughout the story. This very important theme Hemmingway is trying to get across is never give up despite the odds. Placing this theme in the story allows the readers to be able to connect with the story and the characters. I have discovered that this is very important to remember when going through life.
During the book, after Santiago captures the marlin, his determination kicks into gear. He spends three days with the Marlin at sea and he never let go. No matter what he was convinced he was going to reel in the fish. Most fishermen, you would think, would let go of the line and try again for another fish, but not Santiago. After already being in pain he spoke these words. “‘Fish,’ he said softly, aloud, ‘I’ll stay with you until I am dead.’” (52).His hands were torn and bleeding and yet still he kept holding onto the line. He wasn’t about to give up on this fish. In his mind he was going to reel in the marlin no matter what it took At that point the words “letting go” were not in his vocabulary.

Santiago’s fight with the fish shows his impeccable determination. Determination goes hand in hand with my life. I am a dancer. If I want to continue to pursue my dancing career as I get older I have to work much harder than the “tiny-tots” classes I participated in when I was five years old. As Competitions and conventions get more strenuous and intense, I have to learn harder choreography and tricks if I want to become exquisite in this art, just as the odds were against Santiago in the book. “ He tried it again and it was the same. So he thought, and he felt himself going before he started; I will try it once again. He took all his pain and what was left of his strength and his long gone pride and he put it against the fish’s agony and the fish came over onto his side and swam gently on his side, “(93). The old man finally defeated the odds he was up against being alone at sea and came through to defeat the Marlin. I can relate to this immensely. Many people say it’s hard for dancers to pursue careers as successful professionals. I have already proven many people wrong that I will go far with my dance career. I am not going to give up despite the odds.

Just as Santiago tries to capture the fish multiple times throughout his three days in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, with dance I have to repeatedly try again when I make mistakes. If I just gave up o the first try, I wouldn’t learn anything. This is what makes Santiago such a great fisherman, and what makes me a great dancer. We both refuse to give up no matter how tough things might get. If I don’t get a step the first time, or if I need to learn a challenging leap, I keep repeating what I can’t get to try and master the choreography. Particularly in Conventions, the teachers will not slow down for you but if you can get their choreography and listen to what they have to say you will become a better dancer for it. Just like the Marlin will not slow down for Santiago, he keeps up with it and doesn’t give up. “ ‘Fish,’ he said, ‘ I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.’”(54). Once Santiago is able to reel the Marlin in, and gets attacked by the sharks, when he finally gets back to the shores he is only a better fisherman from his experience. The more you experience, the more you learn in life.

This is an encouraging theme that has helped me remember to never give up in life, in whatever I want to do, despite all the odds that go against it. Santiago in his old age was able to endure all of the things that hit him out at see metaphorically speaking. He stayed determined which is something everyone needs to remember to do in their lives. There is something very different in the mind set of the determined. The determination or whatever gets triggered in their minds motivates them to never give up makes them stand out significantly. They possess a certain quality that allows them to achieve their goal. Not everyone is able to stay determined when trying to complete a task in life. For those who can they are very strong people and I’m sure you could learn a great deal from them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

kay,

The thesis statement in your essay is great. It's clear,concise, and very well written. I liked how you said that the theme in a story helps to connect book to teh reader.
I think the first quote is the best, just because it really proves exactly what the theme is. the quote perfectly showed how determined Santiago was to catch the fish.
The best part of this essay was how you connected the theme of the book to your dancing. It really seemed like the theme applied strongly to your life.
I don't have any suggestions for you. the only thing that you might need to work on is grammer. other than that great job.

Anonymous said...

Kay
I thought it was very good and the thesis statement was very clear and concise. I liked that you tried to connect and relate the theme to actual people's lives. The first quote was the best because it did a really good of displaying what your theme was. The best part of the essay was when you were connecting the theme to your actual dancing career. You showed a lot of enthusiasm and I could easily tell you have passsion for your dancing. I wouldn't change anything for your essay it was really good.

Anonymous said...

kay-
awesome job! i could really hear your voice coming through in your writing. you did a good job connecting it to the outside world and made it so people could get another perspective on the theme. i liked your second quote the best because i thought it fit the best. i liked all the quotes you picked because they all worked really well with your writing. your introduction was really well written and i knew exactly what i would be reading about. your conclusion was very nice to and it tied in your story well. the only thing i think you could have done would be to re read it to check for spelling and grammar mistakes but other than that it was a great read!

Anonymous said...

kay,
nice work i thought you did a great job with writing your essay. your thesis statement is very clear and well written. i think that the first quote was the best because it shows how determined santiago was to catching this fish. also it displayed the theme of the story which you mentioned about in your opening paragraph. the best part of your essay would be how you connected the themes you talked about to real life. it made your story much more interesting to read and really caught the reader's attention and made you want to read on more. Next time though i would go over your work again for grammer because you had a few errors there but overall i thought you did great on your essay!!

Anonymous said...

Kay,
I thought your essay had great voice. Your thesis statement was well written and was very clear. I think your first quote was the best. I think it really helps describe what the theme is. I liked how you connected the book with your dancing. I know it is something that is very important to you, just like fishing to Santiago. Overall, very nice job. Keep up the good work!