Monday, March 24, 2008

By Libby M.


Choices govern our every day life, even though we do not realize it. Will we wear the jeans or the mini skirt, the tank top or the t-shirt? Will I have cereal for breakfast or bacon and eggs? Will I walk or take the bus? Will I do my homework today or the class period before it is due? Should I answer the teacher or pretend I didn’t hear? Santiago had to make many different decisions so he would survive his fight with the marlin. He had to decide how to prepare for the trip, he had to choose to kill the fish, and his biggest choice was the decision to fight for the fish.

Santiago had to decide how to prepare for his fishing trip. “He ate the white eggs to give himself strength. He ate them all through May to be strong in September and October for the truly big fish” (38). He had to figure out what food would give him the most nutrients and protein to build his muscles before he went fishing. If he had not stayed healthy through the off months, the trip could have ended badly for Santiago. “He also drank a cup of shark liver oil each day from the big drum in the shack… It was very good against all colds and gripes and it was good for the eyes” (38). Santiago also had to keep himself healthy even if what he had to do was unappetizing.

The marlin could have killed the old man. The fish was very large and quite strong while Santiago was not in the best shape that he could be. His body was starting to work against him, like when his hand would cramp. But “[his] choice was to go there to find [the fish] beyond all people. Beyond all people in the world.” (52). Santiago needed this fish and he knew it. He had gone eighty-four days without catching a single fish and he had made the choice to go back into his boat everyday and try again.

Santiago realized that he had to work hard. This wasn’t just going to be a smooth ride to the end. “I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work” (93).He decided he had to do everything in his power to get that great fish home. He didn’t have to, though. He could have given up when the sharks attacked and just left the marlin to float around in its watery grave. He could have listened to the pain that he felt and admitted to his defeat. But he didn’t and he got the fish home to where people could admire him for working so very hard and persevering through many encumbrances.

Our choices adjudicate how our lives play out. We choose to wake up, to go to work, to be safe, and to live our lives. Santiago had to choose to prepare, to try, and to fight and these choices changed how Ernest Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea turned out. Without making these choices, Santiago might not have caught the fish. He might not even have lived through the fishing trip. His choices decided how his life and the life how the fish would change those fateful days on the ocean.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I "He had to decide how to prepare for the trip, he had to choose to kill the fish, and his biggest choice was the decision to fight for the fish." is the thesis statement. it was very clear and focused and engaging because it it short and sweet.

II "[his] choice was to go there to find [the fish] beyond all people. Beyond all people in the world.” (52)" was the best quote because it was a deep interesting quote.

III One thing this essay does well is that it has very advanced vocab like "adjudicate" that is very effective.

IV Some advice I would give is to have more explanation of the quotes and their significances or context in the story. But that's all.

Anonymous said...

Libby,

This was amazing. The thesis was this essay, I think, was clear: the decisions that had to be made. It was also very engaging.

The stongest quotation was “[his] choice was to go there to find [the fish] beyond all people. Beyond all people in the world.” (52). This proves and supports what you were saying.

The essay uses language the best. And example of this is "He could have given up when the sharks attacked and just left the marlin to float around in its watery grave."

The advice that I would give is to just read over your last paragraph. Other than that, this was awesome!!

Anonymous said...

adjudicate- I like this word. I think thatyou made it fit well into your essay. You use realy good vocabulary throughout the essay. I think that your thesis statement was clear and I liked how you asked questions as part of it. I think that this quote was your strongest "[his] choice was to go there to find [the fish] beyond all people. Beyond all people in the world.” (52)". I think that you explained it well and it sounds good. I think that your strongest paragraph was your last because it summed up your essay well. It was a good end to a great essay. Nice job.

Anonymous said...

Libbay!
First off, I liked the picture. I don't know why, but I do. The thesis statement was really clear and engaging. I think the best quote is "[his] choice was to go there to find [the fish] beyond all people. Beyond all people in the world.” because it helps your argument. The word choice in your essay was really well educated. I also liked the word "adjudicate" it seems smart...I don't think I would change anything, so Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Libby,
I always love reading your essays because you’re such a good writer. I think that you had one of the clearest thesis statements I have read. I felt that your first paragraph was strongest, and your supporting quote fit the best. It really showed how he prepared, and that proved to be a clear choice. I liked basically the whole thing, no suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Libby,
You always right extreamly good stories and this was no different. I really liked your opening paragraph. It was completly different from all the others essays i have read. You always find a way to do something different and it always makes your story satnd out the most. I loved your vocabulary and your detail in every paragraph. Great job Libby.

Anonymous said...

Libby,
You essay was amazing as always! Yuor thesis statement was nice and clear "Choices govern our every day life, even though we do not realize it." Your essay was great and had great points and examples. My favortie part was that first sentence!! its so true. all you quotes were really good and fit well in your essay. They were all my favorite! lol. Your essay was great you did a wonderful job! they was nothing i would change about it! Keep Up The Good Work!

Anonymous said...

Hello Libby!!!!
I LOVED this essay!!
I think that you get the best essay award again!! :)
Your thesis statement was very clear and engaging. You brought up some really interesting points wiht your thesis statement.

I think that the best quote in your essay that you used was, “I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work” (93)." I liked this quote a lot. Most likely because the sentences around this quote back it up, and the quote just fits really nicely!

I think that your whole essay was well written, and it was all good :) But, the best part is your first paragraph. I loved it when you said, "Choices govern our every day life, even though we do not realize it."

I have absolutly NO ADVICE for ya!

P.S. I LOVED the picture, it's really differnet, and it says a lot! Great Job Libby! :)

Anonymous said...

Libby,
great essay, i really enjoyed reading the whole thing. you did a great job of picking the right quotations to support your thoughts. then, you backed up the quotes, and explained more. also, your conclusion was very good. it was clear and it ended the whole essay amazing. you wrapped up everything perfectly and left the reader thinking about everything they had just read.

Anonymous said...

Once again you prove to us that essays are one of your strong points Libby, nice work.
1- Your thesis really pulled in the reader by using questions, those really fit well into your opening statement.
2- I like your last quote the best, it best shpowed how it was difficult to take down the massive marlin, because of the bond and because it was powerful
3- Your conclusion was really good, you didnt just repeat what you said in he thesis statement, a better way to wrap things up
4- Once again i can't give you any advice.

Anonymous said...

hey libby!!
that was amazazing! that was the best ive read! at very first sentence i knew what you were talking about. it was very clear and focused. i liked how you, in the beginning, started saying should i do this or should i do that. it made me want to keep reading. my favorite quote would be "[his] choice was to go there to find [the fish] beyond all people. Beyond all people in the world.” (52)" i liked how you used 'his' and 'the fish' into the quote. a great thing about your essay was that you used very big words, i didnt know what some of them ment but thats me. i have really no advice to you. great job!