Monday, March 24, 2008

By Garrett B.

After reading The Old Man and the Sea what really interested me was that why Manolin always hung around Santiago even after he stopped working for him. Manolin still asked the old man if he could do anything to help him catch some fish. Was it out of pity or did Manolin really enjoyed spending his day with an old fisherman, instead of playing with kids his age or just relaxing on the beach? I don’t believe a realistic boy would rather do chores for an old man than do something fun.

In the very beginning of the story Manolin could have rid his life of Santiago, but instead he starts to take care of Santiago and makes sure he is taken care of. “He sent two beers.” “I like beer best in cans.” “I know. But this is in bottles, Hatuey beer, and I take back the bottles.” “That’s very kind of you,” the old man said. “Should we eat?” “I’ve been asking you to,” the boy told him gently. “I have not wished to open the container until you were ready.” (20) In this conversation between Santiago and Manolin, the boy is acting like a mother. He is asking the old man what he wants, explains what they are going to do. The old man can barely take care of himself and Manolin is sort of filling in for the old man’s dead wife.

Eventually, while the old man is in with the Marlin, the boy was probably going hysterical. When the old man comes back the boy is happy that the old man is back, and he cries. “The boy saw that the old man was breathing and then saw the old man’s hands and he started to cry. He went out quietly to go bring some coffee and all the way down the road he was crying.”(122)This shows Manolin’s love for the old man. I believe that he was crying for mixed reasons; he was happy that the old man was alive and he was also crying because the old man was hurt and that he might never be able fish again. I think that the boy sees the old man as a father figure and if he lost the old man he would be devastated and would be hurt for a long time. Also the boy was hurt when he was not able to fish with the old man any more. So in the end when he was going to again the boy was very happy. “Now we fish together again.” “No. I am not lucky anymore.” “The hell with luck,” the boy said. “I’ll bring the luck with me.” (126) This shows that Manolin doesn’t care what happens as long as he can fish and be with the old man. The boy loves Manolin and Manolin loves the old man.

Throughout the story, Manolin stayed a static character. He never changed his opinions on baseball or the old man, he always loved the old man and baseball the same. Manolin, most importantly, never changed his ideas about getting to fish with the old man again, no matter what happens. I don’t believe that Manolin is a very realistic character because it really seems hard to believe that a little boy would want to hang out and take care of an old man and to fish with him and not make any money, but that is Manolin’s choice. The one thing that is very realistic is the love that Manolin and Santiago share for each other.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garrett,
i thought your essay was very good! your opening sentence was very good. it made me want to read more and find out what your essay was going to be about. and your thesis statement was clear. your thesis statement is whether or not Manolin really liked hanging out with the old man. in my opinion, Manolin did like hanging withthe old man. And in your essay you give specific reasons.
in your first paragraph you use a lot of detail form the book. and each quote was gppd. and to me, that paragraph was strongest. one thing i think you did well was detail. you used a lot of detail from the book. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I "In the very beginning of the story Manolin could have rid his life of Santiago, but instead he starts to take care of Santiago and makes sure he is taken care of." is the thesis statement (I think.) It is not very clear because it doesn't include the topiccs of the supporting paragraphs or the overall theme of the essay.

II "The boy saw that the old man was breathing and then saw the old man’s hands and he started to cry. He went out quietly to go bring some coffee and all the way down the road he was crying.”(122)is the strongest quote because it gives a clear image and tells alot about the boys relation to the old man.

IIIOne thing the essay does well is to give supporting information for its main idea. (I assume the main idea is friendship?)The quotes and supporting paragraphs work well.

Some thing I would recomend is to make it more organized and make each paraghaph have a clear perpose and somewere state the essays overall topic.

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a very good essay. I liked the picture as well. I thought that the best paragraph was the second one because it had the most description and detail. my favorite quote was: “The boy saw that the old man was breathing and then saw the old man’s hands and he started to cry. He went out quietly to go bring some coffee and all the way down the road he was crying.”(122). This shows that Manolin cared about Santiago. It also shows that he probably died at the end of the book, although it doesn't really tell you what happens. There were no mistakes. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Great essay Garrett. Your thesis was not entirely clear, in fact it was hard to tell what you were defending in your essay. You seemed to simply be recounting what happened in the story. I think that your third quote was the strongest and best integrated. I enjoyed your description and you had good spelling and grammar, but next time I would try to organize your essay a little better. Great job.

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of guy who passions to seek recent things. Right now I'm making my hold pv panels. I am managing it all alone without the assistance of my men. I'm using the internet as the only path to acheive that. I ran across a truly brilliant website that explains how to contruct photovoltaic panels and so on. The internet site explains all the steps required to building solar panels.

I am not really sure about how precise the info given there is. If some guys over here who had xp with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it would be great and I'd extremely treasure it, cauze I extremely love [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. U guys are the best.