Thursday, April 12, 2007

Ode to Biggie by John H.


You know him as Big Poppa, Biggie Smalls
He was perhaps the greatest rapper of all
With a voice like thunder and lyrics to match
If you did him wrong he’d grab his gat
His song’s talked of parties and brotha’s
And of how they all dealt with each other
With his tales of troubles, women, and crack
He single-handedly brought the east coast back
He was so much more than a mortal man
He could make you laugh or think with a mic in his hand
He became a superstar in less than a year
Puttin’ 5 carats in his baby girl’s ear
When he died his life was completed
He was destroyed but was not defeated

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I really like this poem, your rhymes, the flow, its all very good.

Though I don't think this poem was really one to spark imagery, I realized that I was seeing an image of my mind, (assisted by that great picture), as the story played out his dynasty.

As I mentioned before, this poem used very effective rhyme and good word choice, it really complimented the poem well.

While reading it, the poem had this energy to it, and it allowed me to just feel the power through your words, I think it was because of your descriptions.

Lastly, I can't really think of another piece I've read such as this, give or take that it is similar to odes I have read, for the very reason that it is an ode.
Very unique...well done.

Anonymous said...

Great job John. Your ode to Biggie is the most unique and one of the best poems I have read so far. Your rhyme scheme works well and flows smoothly. Your word choice was very clever in your rhyme scheme like how you rhymed crack with back. I can tell you really enjoyed this poem and it shows in your writing, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

John
I really liked your poem. It flowed nicely and was enjoyable to read. It is a very unique topic to write about, but I think that you really proved your point. The picture also cauht my eye, and made me want to read it. Good job.